Gallery Backend: Image Description Length
I assume this is because there's a limit to description length and the error isn't handled properly? Neither behaviour is desired for me, 1. I don't like seeing errors and 2. I need descriptions longer than 250 characters. Are there any ways I can work around either? Preferably allow for longer descriptions (without having to code an entirely new custom image module, that's not an acceptable answer).
Hi Phill Hodgkinson,
Please check the latest internal build. This has been fixed there - http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/sitefinity-4-0-internal-releases-for-developers-only.aspx#1563234Regards,
Thanks for the reply. A couple questions. The list says "Description for a Document types was limitted to 255 characters" but it doesn't say what was done. Has the limit been increased and if so to what? Or is there now validation in place that prevents submission if the field is over 255 characters.
Also, can the internal builds be used to deploy to live sites? Will Q1 upgrades be able to upgrade a site that's running an internal build? The internal build is of no use to me if I can't deploy it and it's not even worth testing since I'd have to re-test once the next version is available as it could easily be broken between now and Q1. So what's the verdict? Can we use internal builds?
This has been fixed for Images and Videos as well, it's my omision that I wrote documents only. I will fix the Release Notes. The description field is can handle unlimited text right now.
The internal builds are not completely tested, and we do not recommend deployment with them on live sites. Nevertheless, it really depends if it fixes critical problems for the business. If you test it locally and it works, you may still deploy, but please note that you should keep the SP1 project, or the official one, in case you want to upgrade to a major version later.
I've downloaded build 4.0.1238.0 and I'm still getting the same errors when trying to set the description of a document to more than 255 characters. Any ideas?
Hello Sebastian ,
Could you tell me from which version did you upgrade to 4.0.1238.0 and can you provide some more details about
- document you are using
- steps to follow
- does it happen each time you try to add description more than 255 characters
- how did you upload the document - from Content > Documents & Files or from the Document manager ?
Any additional information would be helpful , thank you in advance!
I wasn't sure where I should report this so I also opened a ticket and I sent an error log there.
In any case, answering you questions:
- document you are using: PDF files
- steps to follow: I've tryed uploadind directly through "Upload Documents or other files" button in side Content > Documents & Files and then setting the description after the upload and I've also tryed doing everything through the Fluent API and both don't work.
- does it happen each time you try to add description more than 255 characters: yes, I've tryed it like 10 times and it always happens.
- how did you upload the document - from Content > Documents & Files or from the Document manager: first option and Fluent API also
Regarding the version, I had version 4.0, upgraded to SP1 and the to the latest build.
Hope this helps.
Hello Sebastian ,
Thank you for the information. We managed to reproduce the problem and It seems that it reappeared during the upgrade. We've already answered to your ticket. So let's keep the discussion there.Regards,