Gallery Backend: Image titles with same name replace each ot

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:42

Gallery Backend: Image titles with same name replace each other.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2011 00:00

It would appear that in the image module you're not allowed to have image with the same name/title. Yet the system allows you to do this and when you do the older image gets replaced my the newer image. Neither is expected or desired behaviour, definitely a "bug".

Am I the only one who's used the Image module before? The bugs are endless....

Telerik? Beuller? Anyone?

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2011 00:00

Dear Phill

This is what happens. I have reported this to Telerik

The title of the Image is used for the URL.

So when you have change a second image title to the same as the first image title the url will automatically change as well.

In order to prevent this you need to give the second image an different url manually. All the way to the bottom.

Kind of hard to explain, better see the screencast
www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_image_titles_example.swf

I don't know who thoght this up but at least its an immediate workaround. I recomanded to Telerik to at least have the URL shown on the top under the title.

Hope this helps

Markus

Hello,

There are issue logged in our bug-tracking system with ID106972.

Url is auto generated by the title and same names produces same urls. Users should go and change the url if they wants to use same titles

Greetings,
the Telerik team

Sure would help to see ALL open bugs on PITS. So people could see there if something is worked on.

Markus

@Markus, Thanks for the tip. The issue I have is there are over 100 images I'm working with, all relating to complicated robotic/automation machinery. It's hard for my and impossible to expect my client, to be able to ensure each url is unique as they upload them. On the file system, before uploading they're grouped into various folders. Sometimes a piece of equipment may be the same (but the photo is different) and it's in 4-5 different folders. It's just insane to think that I'd have to go through over 100 images one at a time to ensure they have unique urls.

Just another bug where it shows that there was ZERO QA done before slapping "Final Release" on SF4.0

Cheers,

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Phill Hodgkinson,

Just another bug where it shows that there was ZERO QA done before slapping "Final Release" on SF4.0

While I do agree that we released the 4.0 with known issues, I think that you can agree that this is not a typical case. Like, can you have two files with the same file name in one directory? How do you resolve path under which there could be more than one file?

I agree that we could have handle the case in a better way - for example prompt the user, provide name indexes or use another field for the Url. We are going to use the third approach, so you will be able to have more files with the same name in the same directory (library) - since this is what the people want, we will provide this ability.

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Georgi,

I actually think this is pretty common. To have files with the same name but in DIFFERENT folders, or in this case in different albums. If i was doing this in Windows and for some stupid reason tried to give a file the same name in the same folder it would alert me and not actually allow me to do it or if I downloaded a file to this folder it would append a (1), (2) etc.. But in the case of Sitefinity it not only allows me to do it but it suddenly takes the properties of the other image, both unexpected and not intuitive. Perhaps when generating the url for an image add the name of the album to the url, this would solve the issue nicely and would also make sense from a descriptive url for the image.

Now if you would just give us an image selector that allowed users to select images from the file system I wouldn't have to use the Gallery at all. Maybe that would be the easier solution and you wouldn't have to fix all these bugs (or at least not so soon).

Cheers,
Phill

This thread is closed