Enhance thumbnails quality

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:44

Enhance thumbnails quality

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2011 00:00

Is there any way to set the thumbnail quantity to a higher setting. I have seen the answer for the 3.X version but nothing for 4.X in any documentation or in the administration settings.

Enhance thumbnails quality in 3.X

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello sacparker,

We use the same methods and algorithm CompositingQuality.HighQuality;SmoothingMode.HighQuality;InterpolationMode.Bicubic;

In 4.0 we do not have options to change the  thumbnail settings. This is in our TODO list - ID - 110554

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jun-2011 00:00

Has this issue been fixed? I can't see it in the PITS.

Thanks,

Ian

Hello IanP,

We have not work on this implementation and it is not scheduled yet.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks for the update.

It's a shame that this has not been done yet, the poor quality of thumbnails make the image gallery widget unusable at the moment. 

Ian

Hello IanP,

Generally we use the best algorithm that ASP.NET framework exposes. I logged a public task for making configurations to the modes which were available in 3.x edition.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2011 00:00

The default thumbnail images are of great quality. it is when you need something that is not of one of the default sizes that the image re-size algorithm is really low quality.

/images/news-images/image-test.jpg?size=100

i have attached a example of the full size image and a scaled down version. I personally am not interested in customizing the quality setting. I just want the default to be better.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Sacparker,

When an image is uploaded several thumbnails with preconfigured sizes are created for it (keeping proportions). The current default sizes are width=60 and width="120", "120" being the default one. You can either request an image directly (url.jpg) or request its thumbnail (url.jpg.tmb).

• If you request a thumbnail without the size parameter, it would return the default thumbnail size.
  • If you request a thumbnail with size=X, it would see if a thumbnail with this size was created when the image was uploaded, and if so return it; otherwise it will fallback to the default thumbnail.
  • If you request the image itself without the size parameter, it would return the original size.
  • If you request the image itself with size=X, the image will be resized, by making the larger dimension X, and then changing the smaller dimension to keep the proportion
  • If it was a portrait image where width is greater than height), say ""20"x"200", and size=100, then the resized image will be 10x100

The current implementation of the handler does not allow

• resizing an image by changing the smaller dimension to the value in the parameter.
  • resizing images by fixing one dimension and leaving the other one variable. i.e. if you want fixed width and don’t care about the height.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed