Bug in Visual Studio 2010 SP1 - Must install Silverlight Too

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:34

Bug in Visual Studio 2010 SP1 - Must install Silverlight Tools prior to service pack

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2011 00:00

I could not install Sitefinity after installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1.  This appears to be due to a bug in Visual Studio 2010 SP1, not Sitefinity. Apparently VIsual Studio 2010 SP includes the Silverlight Tools, however, it appears as if other applications are unable to detect it is installed.

After installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1, I attempted to install Sitefinity. Sitefinity told me that I needed to install the Silver Tools. It should be noted that the Web Platform Installer also did not detect the Silverlight Tools were installed. When attempting to install the SIlverlight tools either through the Web Platform Installer or from a manual install I got the following error:

Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Web Developer Express 2010 or Visual Phone Developer Express 2010 that matches the language version of Silverlight Tools 4 must be installed before installation of Silverlight Tools can continue. (I installed the english language version)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718359 - Microsoft says the SIlverlight Tools are included in SP1

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/222256.aspx 

My Solution:
1. Uninstall Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
2. Reinstall just Visual Studio 2010.
3. Install Silverlight Tools
4. Install Sitefinity

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support. Yes, indeed the information from Microsoft claims to have Silverlight Tools included in SP1, and I am sorry to hear you had troubles with this. Maybe there was some problem with the SP1 configuration during installation, or an issue related to Microsoft, but as you mentioned Sitefinity installer is working fine, provided it has Silverlight Tools installed (which by the way you will not need if you're not going to develop Silverlight related applications). I'm glad that the issue you were facing is now resolved and I hope you don't experience such problems in the future.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed