Gallery Backend: Url is not what it says it is

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:00

Gallery Backend: Url is not what it says it is

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi there,

I've just discovered that when I display my images on the page they all suddenly have the date they were uploaded injected into the url. This is despite the fact that the backend allows me to set the URL for the Album, and then the URL for the Image so I think I'm getting a very specific URL, the one I want. You'd think that the final url would be but noooo, sitefinity magically inserts the date for no apparent reason. To me is sounds like you developed a URL Provider for Blogs/News where the date makes sense and just used that everywhere instead of taking time to do it the right way. Why in the world would I want the date in the path to an image? How does that help SEO or my code in any way? I can see how having the date as part of the url for documents might be desired, but again this shouldn't be injected without the users knowledge, they should be able to see this as part of the url and allow them to change it (maybe the date it was uploaded isn't actually relevant to the date of the document and it needs to be changed.) 

I personally think this should be filed under bug or incomplete feature as I just can't imagine how normal logic would deem this a desired feature. Call me Spock, but this isn't logical, I don't like being show A and B but the end result is A + surprise data of teleriks choice + b

I've seen this post on how to modify the provider but again I don't think I should have to do this. Why bother taking the time to give me a GUI to modify the url when the url I sent isn't actually what I get? Either let me set the url or say tough *** here's the url your getting and we're not giving you tools to change it but don't do half and half.

p.s. I also noticed this same behaviour in the Products Module sample code. Again, why would I want the date of upload as part of a url to a product? It makes no sense at all. Again, time wasn't taken to provide a real world sample, instead a rush job of some incomplete code was given to us and labeled complete.


[EDIT: Note, I tried the above update to the Libraries provider and the date is still injected into my image path even though I deleted all images and albums and started over. Any other ideas for fixing this?]

[Second EDIT: Got it to work, had to restart the application. Seems funny that there's a GUI to edit config settings but the only way to get the setting to take effect is to go back to Visual Studio and edit my web.config file to restart the web app. Not much point in having GUI to edit settings if they don't actually take effect without access to file system.]

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Phill ,

The task for removing dates from the URL of images will be implemented this week and will be available in the official release.  Thanks for noticing this omission!

As to changes in Configurations which need a restart of the application  - this task was logged for Q2 as it is not so easy to do at this point.

Thanks again for pointing our attention to those problems.
We are planning to invest a lot of time in Q2 for fixing such things with the final objective to improve client experience with the system.

Best wishes,
the Telerik team

This thread is closed