Javascript issues (4.1.1339.0)

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:37

Javascript issues (4.1.1339.0)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2011 00:00

First of all, congratulations on the new release! Back end runs a lot smoother indeed!

As a follow up to this post (http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/javascript-issues-4-0-1210-0.aspx) and as a new post I would like to verify what I am seeing...

I activated a community edtion to test with and I've just the standard template (3 colum right header) and dragged a menu on it. Created a page, put one content block on it and wrote some sample text.

With this in place I'm seeing 932K total size, with 840K being Javascript?

Also to confirm from the previous thread, we're still loading the debug.js on a page where there's a menu...

Sorry,
Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Jochem,

The debug version of the MicrosoftAjax script (Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Scripts.MicrosoftAjax.debug.js) is loaded because of a setting of the ScriptManager section of the configuration. See the attached image for more information. Disabling this check box will load the non debug version of the script.
The ajax script is present twice in the resources as we are using a different from the official version of the script and this can't be avoided at the moment as we are using features of the script that were discontinued by Microsoft for the official release of 4.0.

Greetings,
Momchil Mitev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2011 00:00

@Momchil,

Thanks for the reply! Great that we finally found the debug issue, been bugging me ever since I found it.

This may be a totally obvious suggestion but wouldn't it be wiser to have the debug checkbox of by default in a release version? Or did I forget to read a section of the manual where this is stated? 

Hadn't heard many people complain about it, but perhaps nobody was idiot enough to actually browse through the resource.axd's and everyone's running debug mode on production servers...

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Jochem,

Hadn't heard many people complain about it, but perhaps nobody was idiot enough to actually browse through the resource.axd's and everyone's running debug mode on production servers...

This is the reason why we have set the debug flag to false by default. Our observation is that 90% of the people do not set debug to false, and have performance issues because of that.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

@Georgi

Euhm... well this was a fresh install from v4.1, hadn't touched any settings what so ever and posted it about 15mins after i DM'ed you on Twitter about the licencing server update.

So either you made my day on purpose :) or something's not right straight out-of-the-box.

---

Just checked it again, create new community project, login and it's in debug mode. Is this a setting somewhere in the project manager files I/we should change ?

And just to confirm... the MicrosoftAjax path is set to ajax.microsoft.com/.../MicrosoftAjax.js this a preview version from 2009, we're not using the official one at all?  I mean it makes more sense to enable the official one from the CDN and the custom one from internal resources no? 

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2011 00:00

Hi Jochem,

Ah, now I see what you mean. I don't know why but I was thinking about the compilation debug flag in the web.config all the time. 

We are going to work on these issues during this Q - we will update the MS Ajax used. The reason this is not done till now is that we have some modifications to the original ajax provided by MS. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed