After 4.1 upgrade, site fails with ReflectionTypeLoadExcepti

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:42

After 4.1 upgrade, site fails with ReflectionTypeLoadException

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2011 00:00

I followed the upgrade instructions from 4.0 SP1 to 4.1 step by step and after the upgrade completed, now my site crashes with this error:

Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessMetaDataProvider_1c10a2046d1a4be1999dd8558ba64d43.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +405
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +2211
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +74
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SetProvider(String providerName, String transactionName) +214

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +117
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +247
   System.Activator.CreateInstance() +88
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.GetManager(String providerName, String transactionName) +115
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.Initialize() +142
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) +243
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +338
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +30
   System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +546
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +325
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +407
   System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +375

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11529072
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +141
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4784373

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2011 00:00

I was getting this also. Go to the folder where the Sitefinity project manager is installed. Then copy all of the files that are in the _EmptyProject folder, except the "SitefinityWebApp.csproj" and "web.config", and paste them into your site and overwrite the files in your site. Once this was done, I was able to get the site to run. You may also want to re-build your site if you have any custom work in the site.

Hopefully you already have a backup of your files if you need to revert back. I had a hard time upgrading one of my sites. I had reverted back to the beginning a couple of times. Hopefully this will help you get past it.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't fix it. I still have the same error trying to access my site or even the Sitefinity admin console.

Actually I mis-spoke, now there is still an error, but it is a different one:

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1210.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1210.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1210.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' could not be loaded.

Assembly manager loaded from:  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable  c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
--- A detailed error log follows. 

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: User = PUBLIC\SRVC-MSDFORG
LOG: DisplayName = Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1210.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/msdf-sitefinity-dev/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = D:\msdf-sitefinity-dev\bin
Calling assembly : HotNews, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\msdf-sitefinity-dev\web.config
LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet.config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1210.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/94e49acb/528216de/Telerik.Sitefinity.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/94e49acb/528216de/Telerik.Sitefinity/Telerik.Sitefinity.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/msdf-sitefinity-dev/bin/Telerik.Sitefinity.DLL.
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Minor Version
ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80131040). Probing terminated.

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1210.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetType(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, ObjectHandleOnStack type) +0
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +146
   System.Web.UI.Util.GetTypeFromAssemblies(IEnumerable assemblies, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase) +184
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +600
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities.TypeConverters.TypeResolutionService.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +462
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.VirtualPath.SitefinityPageResolver.BuildControls(PageData pageData, List`1 controlConatiners, CursorCollection placeHolders) +864
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.VirtualPath.SitefinityPageResolver.RenderPage(StringBuilder output, PageData pageData, RequestContext context, String virtualPath) +350
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.VirtualPath.SitefinityPageResolver.Open(PathDefinition definition, String virtualPath) +254
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.VirtualPath.VirtualPathManager.OpenFile(String virtualPath) +231
   System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) +256
   System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() +11172618
   System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() +135
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) +189
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() +265
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() +46
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) +580
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +619
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +203
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound) +189
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp) +56
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.GetHttpHandler(RequestContext requestContext) +844
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context) +11340424
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +266

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

if you encounter this you'll need to rebuild any custom dll's with the newest build of the sitefinity dll's.

Hi Adam,

The error indicates mismatch of the assembly references. Please make sure that your project has correct references to the new dlls. If you have custom class libraries, please add the proper references.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I kept getting the error even after updating the references. Apparently, in addition to updating references there are new DLLs to be copied over to the upgraded sites' BIN folder (I copied from _EmptyProject/bin):

- Newtonsoft.Json.dll
- Facebook.dll

yes we did something similar pavel...we had to rebuild with the new reference dlls and then add our custom dll widget. then have to copy all the dlls from the emptyproject folder and then rebuild the sitefinity webapp main site for it to work again.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

I'm still getting the first error, looks like an ORM problem?

I've copied over the new files and rebuilt the module and ORM data layer projects in the solution as well. This is a bit of a nightmare.

I couldn't find a new version of the OpenAccess.SDK.dll

I'm wondering if this comes with the stand alone install of ORM? Can't remember, maybe I need to upgrade the ORM tools to 2011 Q1?

Matt

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello mattc,

Please make sure that you made these OA changes to your custom modules.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I was getting this error on a brand new site.  The solution was to copy all the DLLs from the bin folder under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.1\_EmptyProject\bin to my bin folder.

There's this behaviour that I'm seeing once you load up the project in VS 2010 and recompile, it actually NUKES dlls that are necessary to run the project! 

The DLLs that kept getting deleted were:

- Facebook.dll
- Newtonsoft.json.dll

I put them back, added the whole bin folder to source control, so at least when I compile the files won't be deleted.

See?

==========================================================================================

------ Rebuild All started: Project: SitefinityWebApp, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(3607,9): warning MSB3061: Unable to delete file "C:\Projects\WebSite\bin\Facebook.dll". Access to the path 'C:\Projects\WebSite\bin\Facebook.dll' is denied.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(3607,9): warning MSB3061: Unable to delete file "C:\Projects\WebSite\bin\Newtonsoft.Json.dll". Access to the path 'C:\Projects\WebSite\bin\Newtonsoft.Json.dll' is denied.

SitefinityWebApp -> C:\Projects\WebSite\bin\SitefinityWebApp.dll

========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

The deletion of dlls is a bug in VS. It has been reported to Microsoft, but to this day the bug remains. It normally doesn't do it all of the time, but it is a pain.

Really?  I'm running VS 2010 Ultimate... 10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel

Never heard of this behaviour before where VS will arbitrarily decide to blow away DLLs in your bin.  Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I've never heard of it.

Chris.

Yes, it is VS. I have seen it do this on different versions of VS. At first I thought it was when I ran a "Build" but later found out that this was occurring when I did the "Rebuild" command also.

I was wondering about this for some time. When I was watching a webinar with Lino Tadros at Falafel, he ran into the same issue. He had mentioned that the ticket had been created for this bug. This is where I got the info from. I tried to do a quick search on Google, but didn't find anything. 

This thread is closed