List module properties not working

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:06

List module properties not working

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello, whenever I create a new list I get a blank pop-up window and am forced to check "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs" then it just hangs. If I choose Content > Lists again I see the list I created but selecting it causes the same behavior I mentioned above with creating lists. I can add new items to a list I created but I cannot see or edit these list items as the same issue prevents this. This behavior is occurring on 2 separate installations of Standard Edition version 4.1.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

I am getting this too

<html version="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 2.0//EN" xml:lang="en" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><HEAD><TITLE>Request Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><DIV id="content"><P class="heading1"><B>Error Description:</B> 'HTTP Method not allowed'</P><P><B>This may be because an invalid URI or HTTP method was specified. Please see the <A HREF="http://local.sf4.ocfp.on.ca/Sitefinity/Services/Lists/ListItemService.svc/help">service help page</A> for constructing valid requests to the service.</B></P><!-- Padding xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx--></DIV></BODY></html>

This is the Response message

Validated the .svc exists in that directory, and I have re-compiled...

I can also visit the service help page okay

Hello Steve,

Can you enable service tracer and see if there will be some more info

msdn.microsoft.com/.../ms732023.aspx

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I don't have my laptop infront of me to load that in...but Gabe just got this EXACT error in Firefox on the webinar going on now.

So please if he can figure it out and post the resolution that would be awesome (ie...don't let him blow away the project since you have a borked version to test with)

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

I have a ticket stating the Lists Module is only in BETA and there are known issues with it??

Can you confirm?

If that's the case why is a service pack bumped to June and not a couple weeks from now like the other Telerik products?  I know OA has frequently released quick official updates when there's been many issues.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

If a problem with "A specific version of SQL Express" held up the release of 4.1 how did this "Known Issue" get released?

Got this same issue, come on T, sort it out...

I sent them (in a ticket) my entire project and database a couple days ago, have yet to hear back on the results...just re-attached my latest failed attempt last night.

Frustration level for me right now is off the charts as I have yet to see any even ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of this issue anywhere.  Even after it publicly happened to Gabe, and clearly its not isolated to just me, and it's been four days since 4.1 was released.

Same Issue as well... the more i work in 4.1, the more issues I seem to run into.

I should not @ 5:40est here today didn't get a single response to a 4.1 issue with the open issues.

@Steve I feel your pain. 4.1 could possibly be one of the worst releases/upgrades the Sitefinity team has produced. I'm starting to think it would be a safe bet to say more new bugs were introduced than bugs fixed.

This is why I never understand the rush some people have to get their hands on an internal build to see if something has been fixed. It might be fixed, then you tell your client that things are good to go as soon as they officially release the next update and then bork... 10 new things are broken and you've got to go back to your client and eat your words. 

Think I'm going to go meditate over the long weekend and hope that Telerik has been crazy busy fixing bugs with a hotfix release next week... Serenity Now!

Phill

@Phill

I just want some feedback saying my issue has been looked at today.  I heard from Radoslav a couple days ago and he said he would look at it, but I didn't hear anything today, I also updated the ticket with the latest dropbox URL to download, but it looks like it didnt finish syncing before I logged off for the night so no file exists and nobody mentioned to me that it was a bad URL.  So that says nobody even touched it today (or at least updated the files).

4.1 by and large works fine for me from a NEW install...but I haven't spent the last 3 weeks on this to start over with a new Database

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

We are going to check your project and try to replicate the issue. I tried to replicate it locally, but everything was working file. The tracer does not contain errors from the service, so we will look into your project and updated you.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

Thanks ivan, the latest version is here marked April 20-2011.zip

This is a Fiddler of one of the list problem: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3234184/ListItemProblem.zip
This is a video: http://www.screencast.com/t/29To2CpsgkW
Which can also be seen here @ 28 minutes: http://tv.telerik.com/watch/sitefinity/whats-new-in-sitefinity-41

So my video you can see the 4.0 live homepage vs the 4.1 duplicated content\lost placeholders version.  It wouldn't be a HUGE deal to re-create the pages except that there's a ton of document and internal sfref links dotted all around the content widgets.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Apr-2011 00:00

I have gotten this too on a brand NEW 4.1 site (not upgraded, just new project creation). 

In Firebug I see this error:

/Sitefinity/Services/Lists/ListItemService.svc/tree/?hierarchyMode=true&sortExpression=Ordinal%20ASC&provider=OpenAccessDataProvider
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 405 (Method Not Allowed)

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Apr-2011 00:00

I am experiencing the same problem in a new 4.1 project.

Mike

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2011 00:00

After hours of painstakingly recreating my project from scratch I ran into this myself. So it is not a problem with only upgraded projects. I would like to know when we can expect a fix or workaround... this has caused my project (and paycheck) to be delayed several weeks. 

Oh awesome...

Not sure if this will help everyone, but I was running into the same issue. I was able to create a list, but when clicking on the list name to go and add list items I was getting the same 2 error boxes. Out of desperation I tried using the edit button on the right and saving the list again. After that I was able to add content items and add a new list without any issues. Strange, but it worked.

So are you saying it 100% works now for you?

Ok. Here is what I have figured out. The error seems to happen when you click on the list name. After some testing on different 4.1 projects this is what has been working.

1. Create your List
2. Click Ok on box 1
3. Check the box on box 2 and then click ok.
4. Reload the List Page
5. Click the Add New List item that is under the list name.

Yes, I have been able to create a list and add items to it but the problems comes when you want to see or edit the list items. On my desktop system I can't get the list module to work in either FF or IE. Yet, on my laptop with the exact same OS and browser versions the list module works fine. If I reboot desktop system then the list module works for awhile but again will stop working after a period of time. Very odd behavior.

NWTResearch,

I think you're on to something. I restarted IIS on the server hosting my site, cleared all my browser history, restarted the browser, and could then successfully edit a list without the persistent problem. Note I did not have to reboot my desktop. Based on our experiences, it looks like the problem may be due to something that gets stored in memory, either on the client or the server. When I experience the problem again I'll try the above steps one at a time. Hopefully we can come up with a temporary workaround to the problem and then figure out a step to trigger it so Telerik can recreate and debug it.

Thanks for the reboot tip,

Mike

Hi Mike, You are correct. Sorry for confusing the desktop reboot solving the problem when it is actually the IIS reboot/browser history clearance that did it. Lists working.....for now.

OK, it looks like the issue is on the client side, not the server side. I experienced and worked around the problem by doing the following:
- Using Chrome 10, I created a new list with about 20 new list items (titles only). I experienced no problems in Chrome editing the list.
- I switched to IE 8. Upon logging in to Sitefinity as the same user, I got the standard "Log the other user off and enter" prompt.
- I then tried editing the list in IE and got the error.
- I killed IE, restarted it, deleted the browser history (temporary Internet files, cookies, and history), and was then able to edit the list in IE

Since I did not restart IIS hosting the website, and because deleting the browser history alone worked around the problem, I assume the error is on the client side rather than the server side. Thinking the problem might be related solely to switching browsers, I switched back to Chrome and then back again to IE, but both were able to edit the list.

I'll continue looking for a way to reliably recreate the problem and narrow what browser history I clear for more concise workaround.

Mike and NWTResearch,

I started having the issue with the List Module again. I took what you guys were saying about clearing the browser history. I cleared everything out and it started working fine. 

I needed to change the title of one of my list and I started getting the same error. This time I only cleared out the cookies and other site data (using Chrome) and it is working just fine now.

Hopefully this helps narrow down where the issue is.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

I'm experiencing the same problem in boot upgrade and new 4.1 project.

Thanks Jeremy,

The "Delete cookies and other site data" seems to be the the simplest temporary workaround for this problem in Chrome. See attached screen shot.

Mike

Hopefully the Sitefinity team is paying attention to this and can fix the issue once and for all, but at least for now we have found a temporary workaround.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi,

We are continuously trying to reproduce the error in the lists module, both with client websites ran locally and with local websites, however still do not have consistent results. We are not able to define a clear set of steps which causes the problem. All we know at the moment is that the problem is fixed if browser cache is cleared.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2011 00:00

Thank You, Radoslav for responding.

I appreciate that you guys are looking into this. Like I said in an earlier post, it seems to happen to me when I try to add a new lists or I try and edit the name of a list. 

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Hello Jeremy,

Can you please confirm that you are still experiencing the issue in the latest internal build.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Radoslav,

Yes, the internal build update has fixed this issue. I have been unable to reproduce the error in any of the browsers. 

Thank You for all your help!

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2011 00:00

Let's see if I can add another twist to this issue. I to have run into the issues described in the post. In chrome I get a dialog and can disable future pop-up. I am using 11.0.696.60. I then tried this is FF and using firebug, I am able to see that the web service is getting the 405 message that Basem reported. The FF version I am using is 3.16.17.

So here is the twist. I also have FF 4.01 installed as a portable app. When I run this version, I am able to get to the list items. I do not get any errors when using this version. I can click on the list name and I can click on the "Edit list items" link and they both allow me to access the list items.

I am not sure what is difference is between the browsers, but this may help others till it has been fixed. I have tried the FF on two desktop systems. Both are running the portable 4.01 version. One is a Windows XP and the other is Windows 7.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Hi Richard,

The issue can be reproduced in the following way - that is before the hotfix - go to the Pages list, have at least two pages, where one is a child of the other and the node is expanded. Then go to the Lists module and try to click on an already created Lists. If you clear your cookies then the issue won't happen.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

So where can we obtain the hotfix?

It is rather unprofessional to have to tell my content editors that they need to clear their cache each time they go into SF as a precaution.

Hi Lubomir,

Was this bug corrected in Sitefinity 4.1 SP1?

Thanks,
Mike

Lists work fine for me in 4.1 SP1

Please read the entire thread....

There is mention of a hotfix that remedies this client-side caching issue...  but no link to any hotfix.

What is release version that includes fix?

Steve - I see version with fix. Thanks

http://www.sitefinity.com/versionnotes.aspx?id=2459

@Daniel
  I am very well aware Lists were not available until 4.1, which is why 4.1 SP1 is the official service pack of 4.1 and yes, fixes the popup problem with the lists module; it was released on the 13th.

There is a sticky post in General here which lists the changes, and the official download should be in your account.

@Steve-

Thank you figured that out in the interim - see edits-

These version names between 4.0 SP1, 4.1 and 4.1 SP1 - too much.... I have started to rely on the Build #s alone.

Daniel,

Not sure if you were replying to Steve or me, but please follow your own advice and read the thread. Both Steve and I refered to Sitefinity 4.1 SP1. The post about the hotfix was made before Sitefinity 4.1 SP1 was released last week, so my inquiry to Telerik was whether on not the fix was included in Sitefinity 4.1 SP1.

Mike

Steve,

Thanks for the update.

Mike

@Mike-

I am good.  I did read the thread.  I am already installing the solution.

A simple update on this thread last week with a link to release notes would have been nice.  That is why I edited my response and added them. 

No need for inflammatory remarks about "following one's own advice"... This whole SF4 debacle really gets people fired up.  A simple - Check the 4.1 SP1 for fix - would have been nice instead of all the BS and talking around the issue.

So thank you for now.

Sorry Daniel,

My intent wasn't to be inflammatory. I totally agree with you that all the SF 4 bugs have been extremely frustrating and my comment may have reflected my frustration. At least Telerik has these forums (ironically running on Sitefinity 3.7) where other customers can validate bugs and provide workarounds.

Some good news is that Sitefinity 4.1 SP1 appears to have addressed at least a half dozen very obvious, show-stopper bugs that were making the product unusable for me. 

No hard feelings,
Mike

No problem Mike...  I agree - our frustrations are all shared.

There is great help here on the forums - and I tend to find solutions here before I get Support Ticket responses.

I would like Telerik mods to start locking forum threads with "official" solutions - especially when a new release fixes an issue.  It would avoid some confusion about version numbers and releases.

I was out for 1 week and didn't even know there was a 4.1 SP1 - so  that confused me even more... LOL

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2013 00:00

This is a very old post, however i seem to be experiencing the very same issue in v 6.1.
My first page edit after clearing the cache, the filter selector control works as expected, all nodes are organized in a tree view. Subsequent edits throw the script error from the hierarchicaltaxon service (405 Method not Allowed) and the filter selector is a blank window.

Anyone solved this one?

This thread is closed