Widgets throwing Errors (News and Events confirmed)

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:39

Widgets throwing Errors (News and Events confirmed)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi there,

I have 3 sites that have been upgraded to 4.1 (all of which are having show stopping issues). The latest I've found is when I attempted to edit or add built in news widget to a content place holder. An empty javascript alert/error was displayed and then the prompt to prevent page from displaying further alerts. The Chrome Console showed the below error continuously being generated:

/Sitefinity/Services/Taxonomies/HierarchicalTaxon.svc/e5cd6d69-1543-427b-ad62-688a99f5e7d4/?hierarchyMode=true&sortExpression=Title%20ASC&filter=POST http://sitename.local/Sitefinity/Services/Taxonomies/HierarchicalTaxon.svc/e5cd6d69-1543-427b-ad62-688a99f5e7d4/?hierarchyMode=true&sortExpression=Title%20ASC&filter= 405 (Method Not Allowed)

This also happens with the Events widget as well, I haven't tested others. This happened while dragging on to page that existed prior to upgrade as well as a page that was created after the upgrade (both used my custom master template).

So now I can't display images, news or events. At first I thought 4.1 was one step forward 2 back but now we're up to 4 steps back and I'm just getting started... 

Help Please!!

Phill

Have an open thread on a similar (same?) issue

www.sitefinity.com/.../list-module-properties-not-working.aspx

And actually Gabe encountered this bug on his webinar demo at 11...

I would be super interested in a fix for this as I also have 0 fully working 4.1 sites as well, and open unanswered tickets on upgrade issues as well.

Hey Steve, I thought your issue was a bit different, more like this one http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/events-widget-error-message-4-1.aspx  The issue I'm having doesn't display the long error in a javascript alert that you see in that post but it looks like what you're getting. I just get a blank alert and then looping error in console.

I'm sure they're probably similar though. All I know is that SF 4.1 seems to have added more bugs than fixes at this point. Can't even put my frustration into words, they don't make swear jars that big!

Phill

Yeah I'm at about a 12 on a scale of 1-10 right now...was up till midnight trying to get any site working.  The features on paper look great, but damned if I can test them out.  The only time it seems to work is a new site created in the project manager.  And get this...after a new instance completed and I was looking at the Casini-fed dashboard...I re-loaded it in IIS and accidentally re-reloaded before it had fully come up.  Hosed the entire thing with a YSOD security error which I could not recover from, so I had to delete everything and Re-Re create the project.

One site which has the closest (technically past) deadline seems to work in the backend (aside from the Lists module which has this error) is totally unable to render any front-end page...

My personal site wont even get that far, gets stuck in an endless database loop trying to enter version numbers into a table and throws a yellow screen of death instantly when it hits a duplicate.  I also encountered this on the site above, but restoring the DB and upgrading again resolved it there.  But in this case, same thing on every restore.

More annoying for me is fixes promised for 4.1 reported since january are still pending (I have an issue ID and everything)

I have a long weekend coming up here too where I could potentially get the site out the door

Oh good phew, the project that was working and loading yesterday now has the security error today and is again rendered useless

Server Error in '/' Application.

The type ExceptionManager cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The type ExceptionManager cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: The type ExceptionManager cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.]
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.GuardTypeIsNonPrimitive(IBuilderContext context, SelectedConstructor selectedConstructor) +277
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +485
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +434
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan(IBuilderContext context, NamedTypeBuildKey buildKey) +400
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +222
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +434
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +440

[ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionManager", name = "(none)".
Exception occurred while: while resolving.
Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type ExceptionManager cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionManager,(none)
]
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +546
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +20
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerExtensions.Resolve(IUnityContainer container, ResolverOverride[] overrides) +87
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Exceptions.HandleException(Exception exceptionToHandle, ExceptionPolicyName policy) +70
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.Initialize() +773
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName, String transactionName) +34
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res..cctor() +28

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res' threw an exception.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res.RegisterResource() +0
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.RegisterStringResources() +108
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.RegisterIoCTypes() +206
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +186
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +30
   System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +546
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +325
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +407
   System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +375

[HttpException (0x80004005): The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res' threw an exception.]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11529072
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +141
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4784373

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

I swear I'd really like to evaluate 4.1...I really would...

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

Can you please make sure that you have set your project on IIS as described in this article: Configuring the IIS to host Sitefinity projects (section Configuring folder permissions). 

The most common reason for getting this exception is if your application pool identity does not have sufficient permissions over the App_Data folder and its content. If your website is added to source safe make sure it is checked out and is not read only.

All the best,
Sonya
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

Any word on this?  All my event items are blowing up.  I get the looping javascript alert.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

Hi Randy,

Can you please try viewing the template for your events and news items. Find the declaration of the controls which should display tags and categories and see if it matches the bellow declaration:

<sitefinity:HierarchicalTaxonField ID="HierarchicalFieldControl" runat="server" TaxonomyId="E5CD6D69-1543-427b-AD62-688A99F5E7D4" DisplayMode="Read" WebServiceUrl="~/Sitefinity/Services/Taxonomies/HierarchicalTaxon.svc" Expanded="false" TaxonomyMetafieldName="Category" ExpandText="ClickToAddCategories" BindOnServer="true" />

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed