4.1 upgrade issues

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:15

4.1 upgrade issues

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

I have upgraded a 4.0 site to 4.1 and now some of the pages are showing controls on the page in live view, but are not there when viewing in Edit or Preview. This is even more of a problem as these controls have an id that is the same as another control that is actually showing on a page and is causing a page error.

I have looked through all versions of a page and have never seen the control in question on any of the versions in the history. If I duplicate the page through the admin, the control(s) also get copied over. Again, I can't seem to locate the control in Edit or preview to change the id or just remove them.

The only way I have been able to get a page to work is to go in and find all controls for a given page. Then remove the control through the sf_control_properties, sf_object_data_sf_permissions, and sf_object_data tables. Is there another way to get to these controls other than searching through the tables to locate the records?

i encountered the same problem however i didnt have random controls on pages. i did have old content from other templates. i have about 12 or 15 custom master pages and at some point when we switched to the newer ones the content that was on the older template stayed. i was seeing some pages that had old content on it in live view but in preview it was gone and no trace. this could help you out in your issue.

the id thing is a manual process, i started a thread earlier about this, and was told i have to go through each page, find the controls with same id and *IF* that control happens to be able to edit the ID with the advanced button change it there. some components like javascript/css widgets dont have that so i'd have to delete those off the page and put them back.

frustrating and time consuming to say the least...luckily this only happened on a section of our site in development (the biggest section) but not on all pages.

I can't say it was on a page template and then removed. Looking through the DB, I select the page from the sf_page_node table based on the url_name_ column. Then I get the content_id and look for all records in the sf_control_properties table. From the list, I have to locate a control that has a property with an ID in which the error is thrown. This control seems to be the same on each of the pages that have the error. So I assume the other pages were created as duplicates, but again I don't see the control when viewing the history of the page.

From the control properties table I can get the id of the control and delete the reference in the sf_control_properties, sf_object_data_sf_permissions, and sf_object_data tables. Once deleted, I can access the pages only after going to the admin page and publishing the page.

Thanks for your response. I tried looking in the template the first time, but other pages that use the template are not affected. As for the id, it has been a real pain having to go into controls and set the id so we don't have a conflict when adding another control on a page. Most of the time the controls with conflicting id's are where a control is added to a template and then a control is added to the page and it uses the same id as the template control.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

Thanks for your post Richard as it helped me to remove one instance of this problem but unfortunately I have others I need to address. I am also noticing that changes in the template do not apply after I publish said template. I have to go to each individual page that uses the template and publish it to see the changes. I suspect it is old content but not 100% sure because of the location it appeared in (seeing a sub-navigation control in a footer element isn't something I feel I would have done). The question remains though, why just on live site and not in template, page edit or preview?

I ran into the template problem also. I had to update content that was affected by the images not showing up if they are in the images folder in the root of the site. I didn't publish all pages that used the template though, or at least I don't remember needing to do all pages. 

I am also getting the same problem. My content blocks are shown multiple times on every page. But in edit mode it appears only once. I tried different experiments on my template and also individual pages. I  ruined the whole website without any success. :(

I've got exactly the same problem.  It's as though old content (stored in version history) has been re-activated and moves to another place holder, but only when rendering in the published state and not visible from within the editor.  The only way I have found to get arround it - without going into the DB, is to re-create the entire page! 
I upgraded this only to patch up some other bugs that were preventing me from publishing my site live... now it looks like all my pages that have had history will need to be re-created again.  Unless Telerik can pull a patch out of the bag.... Over to the Telerik guys!!! Sooner the better please.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

After banging my head the whole day with sitefinity 4.1, I had to revert my website to Sitefinity 4.0
:(

yea i feel your pain, we wanted to do that too but the 403 error permissions thing with pages checked not to show in the menu kept us from going back since that was such a major feature.

i hope this only gets better - doesnt seem like it can get any worse than it is now. 4.1 was supposed to fix all the problems but it seems that it's made it much worse.

Like you Imran, I rolled back to version 4.  Glad I took a good backup!

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

Same types of issues here. Sure would like some sort of help or resolution from Telerik.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2011 00:00

I am having the same thing happen in 3 out of 12 pages in a site.  Content is being doubled on these pages in live view after upgrading to 4.1.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Damian,

This problem seems to be similar to the one discussed in this forum thread. Can you please confirm that what is happening is due to orphaned controls?

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

I'm not sure that I have the same issue as that post.  I didn't do anything to the page other than upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. How can I figure out whether orphan controls are the issue?

In my opinion this is NOT the same issue. The issue in this thread is not about "orphaned" content, it is about content being duplicated on pages. This happened to me as well as to other people reporting in this thread. It happened purely as a result of applying the 4.1 upgrade.

OK. It might be at least related. This KB seems to address the issue in question.

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-4-x/content-is-lost-after-upgrading-to-4-1-or-changing-page-template.aspx

The tool didn't work for me.  I tried it on 2 different sites.  It didn't have any effect on one site and came up with  a System.UnauthorizedAccessException: You are not authorized to 'View 0' ('PageTemplates') on the other site.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

Hello Damian,

Can you please try the latest internal build on a backup of your project. We have provided a fix there and the fix will be official in the upcoming SP.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

I just tried the build and got an exception when starting up the site after upgrade:

[ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessMetaDataProvider_fc6327988d6b412a8a92ac5fee1ba96d.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +197
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +1478
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +63
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SetProvider(String providerName, String transactionName) +161
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName, String transactionName) +131
   BuildUp_Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager(IBuilderContext ) +179
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +12
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +195
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +190
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +163

[ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager", name = "OpenAccessDataProvider".
Exception occurred while: Calling constructor Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager(System.String providerName).
Exception is: ReflectionTypeLoadException - Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager,OpenAccessDataProvider
  Calling constructor Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager(System.String providerName)
]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessTaxonomyProvider_a148dfc6f7384a24acda87fd7aa54843.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +195
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +1478
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +63
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SetProvider(String providerName, String transactionName) +161
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName, String transactionName) +131
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Taxonomies.TaxonomyManager..ctor() +12

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +98
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +241
   System.Activator.CreateInstance() +103
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.GetManager(String providerName, String transactionName) +80
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.DefinitionsHelper.CreateTaxonomyLink(Guid id, String commandName, String commandArgument, WidgetBarSectionElement sidebar) +75
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Images.ImagesDefinitions.DefineBackendListView(ConfigElement parent, String controlDefinitionName, String viewName, Boolean viewImagesByLibrary) +12176
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Images.<>c__DisplayClass14.<DefineBackendContentView>b__e() +37
   System.Lazy`1.CreateValue() +361
   System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue() +104
   System.Lazy`1.get_Value() +89
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElementLazyItem`1.get_Element() +82
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElementDictionary`2.TryGetValueInternal(TKey key, TElement& element) +41
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElementDictionary`2.GetElementByKey(String key) +73
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadCollectionElement(ConfigElementCollection collection, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading) +538
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading, Boolean validateTagName) +391
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadPropertyElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading) +327
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading, Boolean validateTagName) +523
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadCollectionElement(ConfigElementCollection collection, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading) +655
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading, Boolean validateTagName) +391
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadPropertyElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading) +327
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean isUpgrading, Boolean validateTagName) +523
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSection(ConfigSection section, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName) +275
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigSection.Initialize(ConfigProvider provider, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean singlePolicy) +149
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigSection.Initialize(ConfigProvider provider) +16
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Config.Get() +128
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute..cctor() +10

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute' threw an exception.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute..ctor() +0
   BuildUp_Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute(IBuilderContext ) +89
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +12
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +195
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +190
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +163

[ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute", name = "(none)".
Exception occurred while: Calling constructor Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute().
Exception is: TypeInitializationException - The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute' threw an exception.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute,(none)
  Calling constructor Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryRoute()
]
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +327
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name, ResolverOverride[] resolverOverrides) +15
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerExtensions.Resolve(IUnityContainer container, ResolverOverride[] overrides) +81
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.Resolve() +72
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) +1499
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +192
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +24
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.System.Web.IHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication application) +10
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon() +80
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +43
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +828
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +304
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +107
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +327

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Has anyone else other than Damian had a problem with build 4.1.1367?
Is it worth using this build 4.1.1367 or waiting for 4.1 service pack 1 release?

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2011 00:00

4.1 service pack 1 is out so try that.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

Hello,

Guys have you tried the SP1? Please let us know if there are any problems so that we can address then as soon as possible.

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2011 00:00

I just tried the latest service pack i.e.(Sitefinity_4.1.1395.0)  and now facing new issues.  When I try to login into my website via Sitefinity Project Manager. The web page crashes with the following response;

Incorrect syntax near '-'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Incorrect syntax near '-'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SQLException: Incorrect syntax near '-'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.executeUpdate(String sql) +191
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.execute(String sql) +5
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +309

[OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'CREATE DATABASE MT-Sitefinity' : Incorrect syntax near '-'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.ExceptionWrapper.Throw() +7
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.throwBuildException(String str, Exception e) +29
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +364
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.createDatabase() +1062

[OpenAccessException: Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'CREATE DATABASE MT-Sitefinity' : Incorrect syntax near '-'.]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessMetaDataProvider_d2e9c84de5754d0d9c1ca42238fce72c.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +197
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +1479
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager..ctor() +12

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +98
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +241
   System.Activator.CreateInstance() +103
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.GetManager(String providerName, String transactionName) +80
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.OA.OpenAccessConnection.InitializeProvider(IOpenAccessMetadataProvider provider, String connectionName) +225
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.InitializeDatabase(DataProviderBase dataProvider, NameValueCollection config) +100
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +17
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.DataProviderBase.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType, Boolean initializeDecorator) +782
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Data.MembershipDataProvider.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +2095
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.CreateInstantProvider(String providerName, String connectionString, ConfigElementDictionary`2 providers) +567
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.GetMembershipProvider() +71
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.CreateChildControls() +1792
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +122
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeControl.get_Controls() +15
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadChildViewStateByIndex(ArrayList childState) +23
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadViewStateRecursive(Object savedState) +331
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadChildViewStateByIndex(ArrayList childState) +147
   System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +466
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2219

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2011 00:00

Hello Damian,

The error that i see pasted here looks like as an error during the Sitefinity's startup wizard when the wizard is trying to create the database for the first time. The problem is that in SQL server you cannot name you database with dash. Try with a name without dash - you can use underscore.

Greetings,
Nikolay Datchev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed