Edit profile error

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:31

Edit profile error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

I am receiving the following error when trying to edit a profile in the admin section. All I did was go to the user list and clicked on a user. This same error occurs when trying to edit my profile using the "Profile" link in the upper right. This site is a 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade. The only thing I have noticed so far that is different as to the settings, is there is no "UserActivity" section under the main advanced list.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.MetadataManager.GetMetaTypeDescription(Type dynamicType) +24
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.DynamicData.DynamicTypeDescriptionFacade.LoadDynamicTypeDescription(Type dynamicType) +28
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.UserProfiles.Web.UI.UserProfilesControl.InitializeControls(GenericContainer dialogContainer) +518
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +58
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1 

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

I also have issues with profiles...problematic update from 4.0 to 4.1

When I go to ADmin->Users->Manage Profile Types I get the constant popup issue I get with the non-functioning lists module

Specified type 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile' is not a dynamic type.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

I am having the same issue. In fact I checked my Sitefinity profile after reading this post and sure enough I encounter the same error. It seems the more I use Sitefinity after the 4.1 update, and read this forum, the more I see is broken from what was working in 4.0.

Yes I mean I wanted it out the last friday, but had I known it would be this borked I would have gladly waited.  Gabe even hit one of these errors on the webinar...it's been one epic fail after another here.  Whereas every previous release couldn't have gone more smooth.

I would have gladly provided QA a copy of my live site to test with if asked...

Another profile related error

Profile List Widget, Click Edit

Server Error in '/' Application.

Specified type 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile' is not a dynamic type.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Specified type 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile' is not a dynamic type.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Specified type 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile' is not a dynamic type.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.DynamicData.DynamicTypeFacade.LoadDynamicType(Type existingType) +849
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.UserProfiles.UserProfilesHelper.GetUserProfileTypes(String metaDataProviderName) +393
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Web.UI.UsersListUserView.BindUserProfilesTypes() +35
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Web.UI.UsersListUserView.InitializeControls(GenericContainer container) +18
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +82
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +60
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4185

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

For further reference... If you create a brand new install (I used SQLExpress for this install not sure if that is relevant) There isn't any issues.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi John Tolar,

The problems obviously come from the upgrade. In 4.1 we create a default profile type named SitefinityProfile - this is actually the Basic profile in the settings. Could you check if the sf_meta_type_descriptions table has a record looking like this:

id - 445278DC-F303-4BEC-8589-E2A7446C610C
app_name - //
meta_type_id - 638670CC-B540-4FD3-ADB0-101899D1630A
user_friendly_name - Basic profile
description - NULL
voa_version - 1

then in sf_meta_types there must be a record with 

id - 638670CC-B540-4FD3-ADB0-101899D1630A, which is meta_type_id above.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

I don't have the record in either table. I'll try a fresh install and check the tables for the records to populate in my upgraded projects.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2011 00:00

sorry for the long delay... I had to take a break from this project... no it does not exist. I have in [sf_meta_type_descriptions]

id C8F4B59E-A08A-4F17-9A5F-DC5DABB6780F
app_name Website/
meta_type_id 8B114159-7113-4828-818C-75A0AE5AE1E9
user_friendly_name Basic profile 
description NULL
voa_version  1

nothing in sf_meta_types with id of 8B114159-7113-4828-818C-75A0AE5AE1E9

I take that back... in SF_Meta_Type_Descriptions I have:

id C8F4B59E-A08A-4F17-9A5F-DC5DABB6780F
app_name Website/
meta_type_id 8B114159-7113-4828-818C-75A0AE5AE1E9
user_friendly_name Basic profile 
description NULL
voa_version  1

in SF_Meta_Types

database_inheritance 0
id 8B114159-7113-4828-818C-75A0AE5AE1E9
name_space Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model
class_name SitefinityProfile
app_name Website/
section_captions_resource_type NULL
is_dynamic 0
base_class_name NULL
assembly_name Telerik.Sitefinity.Mode
module_name NULL
last_modified 2011-04-21 05:17:45.630
voa_version  1

okay again... I was wrong... The previous data was in the newest database. The original database had a blank table for [sf_meta_type_descriptions]. So Upgrade no data, fresh install and rebuild of site data is there.

My upgraded site did not have the records in either table. I created a test site to check the tables and the data was there. I copied the records to my upgraded site and it got rid of the errors.

The amount of manual fixing from this 4.1 update is UNREAL...and it's still pretty borked

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

We are investigating this upgrade problem and we will fix this in the upcoming build.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed