4.1 Nested Master Pages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:35

4.1 Nested Master Pages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

I have a 4.0 sp1 site that uses Nested master pages for templates.  In 4.1, when I use the nested master pages, It looks correct in the designer and if I preview the page, but in the live site, it puts all of the widgets into the last content placeholder.

My base masterpage has 3 content placeholders(1,2, and 3).  My Nested masterpage adds 3 content place holders to placeholder 3 (3a,3b,3c).  In my template, I add an image to placeholder 1, and a menu to placeholder 2.  On the page I add content blocks to 3a, 3b and 3c.  As I stated earlier, this looks fine in design mode and preview mode, but on the live site it renders the image from placeholder 1 the menu from placeholder 2 and the content from 3c all in 3c. 3a and 3b render correctly.  1 and 2 are empty.

If I just use the base Master page (not nested), it correctly renders to the appropriate content placeholders.

Any Ideas?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

I have a similar issue that seems to be something new with 4.1. Previously we were able to create a template (base) and then create a new template (home) which was based on the (base) template. In the (base) template we add layouts and controls. In the (home) template, we add a layout in between layouts that were established in the (base) template. This looks fine when editing, but when viewing a live page, the layouts are added at the bottom of the layouts that were added to the (base) template.

I went looking through the DB and can see that the layouts/controls have a sibling id assigned to them to keep the order in which they are added to a page. When you add a layout/control to a template or page, it gets the layout/control above the layout/control in which you are adding. It takes the id of the layout/control and assigns that to the item you just dropped on the page as the sibling id. Having said that, I have checked the DB and can see that the correct sibling id is set to the items in the (base) template as well as my (home) template. So my theory is that as the page is built out, it takes the lowest template and loads the controls/layouts. Then it moves up to the next template or goes directly to the page and then adds the layouts/controls. By using the sibling id, it should put them in the correct order. But it almost seems as though it is in the reverse order. Since the items being added to a page should be on top of any other item that has the same sibling id as it was actually added to the page by us last.

Not sure if this will help in getting the issue fixed or not. I have not checked this on a new site yet. Just from a site I upgraded.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

I am also having the same issue , I have added a control to the master page, when i preview a page which inheriting the master page then the control is showing but on the live site it is not showing.

One more issue, the control is being added to the last place holder, on the admin side it is showing correct, but on the live site its being added to the last place holder.How can fix this strange behavior.
Sitefinity 4.x has so many issues.....I don't know why this happens.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2011 00:00

Hi Richard Baugh,

The problem with the dislocation of the elements in the layout is actually a bug and is showing up only when a template inherits another and in some of the parent's placeholder there isn't any content. We are working on delivering a solution for this bug. As a workaround you can try the following : In your base template  put one additional layout element in the body - that will be the content layout. Then, from all the templates inheriting form that template you can put the content in the content layout (same goes for pages). The logic is that if you have a master template, first the layout elements from it will be loaded when the page is rendering, and then the layouts from your child template, that's why it's a good to place one layout for content in your master template, which you can later customize in your child templates (same as nested master pages).

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2011 00:00

I just tried this with a site we are working on and it did not fix the issue.

Steps I took:
Went to my "base" template which is based on a master page.
Added a layout widget to the template. 
Added generic content to the layout widget.
Went to another template that is based on the "base" template
Added the navigation control to the layout widget above the generic content and published
Viewed a page using this nested template and the navigation control is below the generic content. It should be above the content.

This site is not a new 4.1 SP1 build. It has been upgraded from 4.0 SP1 to 4.1 to 4.1 SP1. I can only assume that this issue is because of the "base" template being based on the master page. Otherwise, the workaround does not work.

Hi Richard Baugh,

Can you, please, provide me with temporary login credentials to your site, or with a copy of your .master page so that I can inspect this issue further? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I just created a support ticket, named the same as this forum thread, and supplied credentials and the master page.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Hi Richard Baugh,

I have replied to you int he support thread you have opened, you can check my response there. For your convenience I'm also replying here, that the issue turned out to be a bug  with the order of loading the placeholders when using nested templates. We'll be working on fixing this issue as soon as possible and include a fix in one of our upcoming releases. Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused. As a temporary workaround I'd recommend everyone to spare an additional empty placeholder in the parent template which you can modify/add content to in the child template, just to make sure the rendering on the frontend version will be in the correct order.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed