id cannot be empty GUID

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:43

id cannot be empty GUID

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

We are receiving an error every time we try to save a page in the editor. Adding widgets is working appropriatly, but once we try to publish or save as draft, we get an error stating "id cannot be empty GUID". I looked at the ajax traffic between the browser and the server and have noticed that during the publish request, the payload is an empty array.

We would get this error most of the time on 4.0, but after refreshing the page a few times, it would finally succeed. After upgrading to 4.1, we receive this error every time and refreshing the page does not help.

Because of this issue, we can no longer edit any pages in our Sitefinity website. We are trying to implement sitefinity and are on a very tight timeline. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

I have the same problem when registering Module. When trying to load it from the content menu.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Chris Hansen,

There are couple of possible scenarios in which this error message can occurs in Sitefinity 4.1. In general, the message(Id cannot be an Empty Guid) is thrown when one is trying to manipulate particular item through OpenAcces but in the same time the item's Id is an empty Guid.
Could you provide more details about all the particulars cases when this error message appears(in Sitefinity 4.1)? Does the page you are trying to publish contain any custom widgets? Does this issue still occurs if you create new empty page and try to publish it? If you have access to the server on which Sitefinity is deployed you can check the log files inside 'Your-Sitefinity-Folder/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs' and to send me log files. Also you could use SvcTraceViewer.exe to tract the exception and to provide us more details. You can find more info on how to use SvcTraceViewer.exe here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms732023.aspx

p.s. The most often reproduced case is when one is trying to use custom module which is not properly implemented for version 4.1. There are some significant changes in way how a custom module is implemented in version 4.1 comparing to other older versions of Sitefinity. In the latest release e.g. Sitefinity 4.1, we changed the way how the persistent classes are mapped in the database and this affects to all custom modules. We’ve updated all of our built-in modules to use the new mappings, and all custom modules that use OpenAccess will have to do the same. You can find more information here:

http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/slavoingilizov/posts/11-04-07/changes_in_mapping_persistent_classes_in_custom_modules_with_sitefinity_4_1.aspx

Best wishes,
Tihomir
the Telerik team

Tihomir,

Thank you for your response. I have actually opened a support ticket about this issue since posting this article.

Chris

After working with support, we figured out that our Database had not upgraded properly. We reverted our instance to 4.0 and upgraded again. After reupgrading, we are able to save pages.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

I am having the same problem. I upgraded to 4.1, and all the pages I had listed as group pages gives me the "Id cannot be a Empty Guid" error. I am sure the error is database relates, so how did you upgrade the database? Can you send me the instructions that were provided to you by the support team.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

Hi Shaka,

The database is upgraded automatically and it should not be touched manually. Most probably something has failed during upgrade. You can give another try by using Project Manager. We implemented errors logging, so you can check App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs and see if the upgrade success.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jun-2011 00:00

Sorry incorrect assumption - deleted

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2014 00:00

Hello guys,

For this error you should make sure that if you set some of your widget types to show only one particular item, you should make it required field. For example you are adding taxonomy field (category) and in Limitation tab: "Only one classification item can be selected" radio button is selected, this scenario will lead you to the error if the user doesn't add category when using the widget.

Teo

This thread is closed