Large SEO Keywords causes a Return Code error on Save

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 08:34

Large SEO Keywords causes a Return Code error on Save

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

When attempting to enter a set of keywords when creating or duplicating pages, the system generates a return code error, the issue was reproduceable on both IE and FireFox and it seems to be related to a maximum number of characters that the system can handle, IE returns error code 12031 while FireFox returns error code 0. I have attached screenshots of the issues we are getting, please let us if anyone had seen the issue and has a workaround for it.

I have noticed another thread http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/return-code-12031.aspx which discusses a maximum length of 255 for description so we might have the same issue for keywords but that was before the 4.1 release and we are also getting different codes between IE and FireFox.

Hi AmrElsayed,

If you use less than 255 chars do  you get errors?

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Yes, it works if it's less than 255 chars, that's why I hinted the other thread and wanted to check if should use the same solution of changing the maximum length of the field in the database, is that everything that needs to be done? It seems that I get different kinds of errors whenever the length is over that limit, sometimes I get 'undefined', other times I get either error code 0 or error code 12031.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2012 00:00

Please can you send me the resolution to this problem
Thanks
Emma

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2012 00:00

Hello Emma,

We don't believe this is a problem - by good SEO practices, the keywords should be around 30 to 180 characters. Everything beyond this length will be probably stripped by the search engines. Even if we increase the limit and you put more keywords, this won't have any effect on your web site SEO performance. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed