Missing-Duplicated-Misplaced Content after 4.1 upgrade

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:07

Missing-Duplicated-Misplaced Content after 4.1 upgrade

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

All,
I've been playing around with this blog suggestion in an effort to get some of these bugs resolved.

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-4-x/content-is-lost-after-upgrading-to-4-1-or-changing-page-template.aspx

However, I'm faily confident that my content (which is shown correctly in edit mode, but in the wrong places when published) isn't occuring on the page level as the conttent I have is in a higher level template.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check a template page much like the page content page for the missing placeholders?

-geoff

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2011 00:00

Hello Geoff,

Some minor changes were necessary for the code to work with templates. I modified it and attached it to this post. It should also be available from the KB article you mentioned.

Best wishes,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

I tried this and the controls were moved appropriately. However when I go into the page and/or the template to remove them, they are not visible.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Hello Jamal,

What do you mean by "moved appropriately"? The problem you mentioned is with orphaned controls - those are controls whose parent does not exist in the page. This is why they are not shown. If you run the script, they should be moved to some correct placeholder and should be visible in the backend. If they are not, then they are probably not moved correctly.

In the service pack that will be released this week special handling is introduced in relation with orphaned controls. Those controls will not be visible in the frontend, but will be visible in the backend, where you will be able to place them in their correct placeholders.I suggest that you wait for the 4.1 SP1 release and try how things work there.

Greetings,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Hello Lyubomir.

What I meant by moved appropriately was that it appeared that all the orphaned controls were moved into a contentholder that I setup, but I was unable to delete them. I came across a subsequent post the other day that stated that the orphaned control issue is not just a problem for the pages, but for templates as well.

Like many I am awaiting the service pack release this week. What day will that be as I need to communicate new timelines for our projects to clients.

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2011 00:00

Hello Jamal,

Yes, the problem with orphaned controls also apply to templates. You should be able to fix the problems with the 4.1 SP1 release.

Kind regards,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Hi Lyubomir,

I've been unable to find any way to locate and repair orphaned content in Sitefinity 4.1 SP1, nor any reference to the term "orphaned" in the documentation. Where can I find these features in 4.1 SP1?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2011 00:00

Hi Mike,

Documentation for this fix is scheduled but not available yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

What we did to address the orphaned controls issue is that now those controls are visible in the backend (Page/Template editor). Orphaned controls are displayed semi-transparent (like ghosts), this is how you recognize them. You can delete them or move them to a valid placeholder and publish the page/template.

That's it. Let me know if you have any problems.

Greetings,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed