Custom profile type values not saved

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:07

Custom profile type values not saved

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2011 00:00

Within my application I've created two custom profile type for saving extra data for a user. When I go to a user, I can see the new profile types and their fields. So far, so good. Now I've tried to enter values in the custom fields and then save the changes to the user. When I return to the user, all the custom fields within a custom profile type are now empty. Extra fields of the default profile type are saved and showed correctly. What is going wrong?

Kind regards,

Mark

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

Hi ,

I was not able to reproduce the problem you described.

Here are my steps:
I did a clean install of 4.1.1339 on Win7 with IIS and SQL Express.

Using browser Google Chrome 10:

Created a new user x1
Created a new profile with two custom fields with default values
Looked at the user x1: it has the new fields visible, but not with their default values but empty
Changed the values and saved.
Created new user x2
It has the new fields populated with default values - I changed them and about field and saved
Looked users x1 and x2 - for both I see last values I saved
Created user x3 and logged him in FireFox 3.6
Edited his details, saved, and looked his values were correct.

Do you think I missed something here?
Also can you provide some details about your setup and browser?

Greetings,
GeorgePPetrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2011 00:00

This is a permission problem. The data is actuall saved to the database but it is not available for viewing. try to add administrator permissions to the user you are testing and you will likely see the last value you sent both in read and edit view. This still doesn't solve the issue because I haven't figured out how to change the permission on the profile types. 

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2011 00:00

I almost found a fix but there is a bug. If you go and manage permissions for users (ie adminstration/users and click manage permissions on the bottem right. You can manage access to update the profile. This almost works. You can now see the values and the box with the correct data in it. You can't however, update it. also I started receiving erroneous popups everytime I go back to the user profile permssions after that. 

Definitely a ugly bug.

Actually, it does update the value internally but the value on the page is cached so you have no idea if the application is broken or not. So, that means my first assumption about permissions was partially incorrect. You must give the role or user permission to update the profile but those permissions aren't limited as I said, is my guess. 

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Oct-2011 00:00

We want user settings please!
Why does the profile update when looked at by the administrator account but is not refreshed when a user updates the profile? What good is an update control that does not update the data visually in the profile? It appears that the message You profile has been successfully updated message trying to cover up the fact that the profile refresh is broken. 

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Oct-2011 00:00

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.UI.WorkflowMenu.<InitializeControls>b__3(IPromptDialogDefinition d) +3
   System.Linq.Enumerable.Single(IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate) +170
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.UI.WorkflowMenu.InitializeControls(GenericContainer container) +1788
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +81
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +181
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +59
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +221
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4200

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.237

So this is the result of adding custom profiles fields and trying to configure the profile widget. Now, I will go delete my page and try something different. 

This is costing a lot of time. Can you release only stuff that works or change your claim from 

Aggressive Release Schedule and Legendary Support

to 

Aggressive Release Schedule and Legendary Bugs

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Jaime Weise,

Thank you for contacting Sitefinity support.

I reproduced the exception below in the release 4.1.
I tested this also in the current build that is going to become soon the new release and it is no reproducable there.

As long the other issue - that the unprivileged user sees not updated content on the page with user profile widget - it is expected behaviuor. For admin user there is no output cache - thats why he sees the page with updated content. The easiest way to achieve the same for the other users is to disable the caching for this page. Another way is to write substitution controls.

Best wishes,
GeorgePPetrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi,
I have the same problem in SF 5, when Administrator wants to change any custom field for users manually, it doesn't get saved.

@Jaime have you found any workaround?

@Telerik - you can't be serious about this - such a basic functionality doesn't work, but of course you charge enterprise prices, my project is one month over due because of bugs in Sitefinity and the client is upset, it's embarrassing

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi,
I have the same problem in SF 5, when Administrator wants to change any custom field for users manually, it doesn't get saved.

@Jaime have you found any workaround?

@Telerik - you can't be serious about this - such a basic functionality doesn't work, but of course you charge enterprise prices, my project is one month over due because of bugs in Sitefinity and the client is upset, it's embarrassing

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2014 00:00

Hey guys, same thing here, I'm opening a bug ticket followed by a support ticket, this is pretty critical for us.

Angel

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi,

It's 2014 and i also just had the same problem on Sitefinity 6.3.5024.0

will this issue ever be fixed???

your prompt response and actioning will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello all,

I am pasting the response from Angel's Bug Report:
"Unfortunately, you couldn't reproduce the issue locally in Sitefinity 6.0.4100 as you can see on this video."

I tested the behavior on our latest Sitefinity 7 release and got the same result. Please let me know if any additional steps need to be added to the ones depicted in the video.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2017 00:00

Is this fixed or not??
I have create a Custom Module(ProductCategoryMaster) using Module builder.

I wanted a field "ParentCategory" form parent-child relation ship. Since there was not such facility in built so i created a custom control and then added a filed. No I am able to Get data in that drop down but its not saving in Database.

Can anyone please help??

This thread is closed