Migrating from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 to Sitefinity 4.1 SP1

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:46

Migrating from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 to Sitefinity 4.1 SP1

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

I’ve spent the past 6 days trying to convert the our web site over from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 to Sitefinity 4.1 SP1. I started off with the migration tool using the instructions from this link:

http://sitefinitymigration.codeplex.com/documentation

According to this tool, the following  would be converted:

Roles-3

Users-440622

Libraries-12

Generic Content 9

News-0

Blogs-1

Events-8

Lists-1

Themes-7

Templates-16

Pages-394

The import would fail on Libraries and Generic Content. When trying to view the pages within the Sitefinity Project Manager, the pages were listed, but with no content (HTML). These are the errors I received below:

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Libraries

Importing 8 image, 2 document and 2 video libraries...

Resuming image library "Content Pages" with 473 item(s)... Error migrating library:

Unsupported language "en-US". If you want to support this language, please configure your application accordingly.

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Descriptors.LstringPropertyDescriptor.SetString(Object component, String value, CultureInfo culture)

at Migration.Classes.MigrationTaxonomies.AddTagToTaxonomy(String tag, String language)

at Migration.Classes.MigrationTaxonomies.AddTagsToOrganizer(List`1 tags, OrganizerBase organizer, String language)

at Migration.Classes.MigrationLibraries.ImportLibrary(MigrationLibrary libraryContent, String type)

at Migration.MigrationModule.ImportLibraries()

Importing document library "Documents" with 92 item(s)... Error migrating library:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at System.Object.GetType()

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.AuthorizationPermissionProvider.AuthorizeInput(IMethodInvocation input)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SitefinityAuthorizationCallHandler.Invoke(IMethodInvocation input, GetNextHandlerDelegate getNext)

at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.InterceptionExtension.HandlerPipeline.Invoke(IMethodInvocation input, InvokeHandlerDelegate target)

at DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessTaxonomyProvider_9a1ed2815dae4c5b9b011cbca6490f2d.CommitTransaction()

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SaveChanges()

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Taxonomies.Organizers.DefaultOrganizer.Clear(String propertyName)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.ContentLifecycleManagerExtensions.CopyDynamicFieldsRecursively(IDynamicFieldsContainer source, IDynamicFieldsContainer destination)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.GenericContent.ContentDataProviderBase.CopyContent(Content source, Content destination)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.LibrariesDataProvider.CopyMediaContent(MediaContent source, MediaContent destination)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.LibrariesManager.CopyDocument(Document source, Document desitnation)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.GenericContent.ContentDataProviderBase.CheckOut[TContent](TContent master, Action`2 copy, IQueryable`1 itemsQuery)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.LibrariesManager.CheckOut(Document document)

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.LibrariesManager.CheckOut(Content item)

at Migration.Classes.MigrationLibraries.ImportLibrary(MigrationLibrary libraryContent, String type)

Importing image library "Emails" with 34 item(s)... Error migrating library:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessLibrariesProvider_1c657d9ea8304ec391bb846dc6ed9b34.CommitTransaction()

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SaveChanges()

Communication error:

The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Migration.Migration.IMigrationExportService.GetSingleLibrary(Message request)

at Migration.Migration.MigrationExportServiceClient.GetSingleLibrary(Message request)

at Migration.MigrationModule.CallWebMethod(DelegateOneParameterWebMethod callMethod, Message param, String retrievedContent)

Performing post migration actions...

Rewriting generic content URLs... done

Rewriting news URLs... done

Rewriting blogs URLs... done

Rewriting events URLs... done

Rewriting template URLs... done

Rewriting page URLs... done

Migration complete.

Generic Content

Importing 9 generic content(s)...

Error migrating generic content:

Unsupported language "en-US". If you want to support this language, please configure your application accordingly.

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Descriptors.LstringPropertyDescriptor.SetString(Object component, String value, CultureInfo culture)

at Migration.Classes.MigrationGenericContents.ImportGenericContent(MigrationGenericContent genericContent)

at Migration.MigrationModule.ImportGenericContent()

at Migration.Classes.MigrationGenericContents.ImportGenericContent(MigrationGenericContent genericContent)

Performing post migration actions...

Rewriting generic content URLs... done

Rewriting news URLs... done

Rewriting blogs URLs... done

Rewriting events URLs... done

Rewriting template URLs... done

Rewriting page URLs... done

Migration complete

I ended up with a ton of errors, and none of the pages that were migrated had any content. I also noticed that the project which I created using the Sitefinity Project Manager had some of the converted content. Is there a easier way of migrating my site (not web application) over to 4.1? When we went from 3.2 to 3.7, this process was easier as all I had to do was update the binaries. I also noticed that the Telerik.Cms, Telerik Security, and Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules assemblies are not apart of 4.1. Will I have to recreate my site from scratch if I use version 4.1? Please advise.

Thank you in advance,

Kerchal

Hi Kerchal,

There are issues when migrating content items with specific cultures like en_US. If the culture is just "en" or "es" then there shouldn't be any problems. I need to update the migration tool to support these specific cultures but I'm not sure when I will have time to do this.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Is this the only recommended way to upgrade Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 sites to 4.1 SP1? In our 3.7 site, we are using the Telerik.Cms, Telerik.Cms.Engine, and Telerik.Cms.Web.UI assemblies in our code. These assemblies do not appear in the 4.1.1395.0 version of Sitefinity. Is there any documentation which explains the changes needed to get our site up and running on 4.1?

Thanks,

Kerchal

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Hello Kerchal,

Unfortunately there are too many differences between the 3.7 and 4.x API, in fact there is nothing in common. The only reasonable way to perform a migration is through the migration tool.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2011 00:00

HI,

Seeing a similar problem as well (3.7sp4 to  4.1 sp0).

We have 63 libraries migrating.

The first 4 are ok but then... nothing

this call in the migration tool (MigrationModule.cs) never returns (i never receive the timeout either)

Message libraryMessage = CallWebMethod(m_ExportClient.GetSingleLibrary, param, "library");

Attaching to the 3.7 site I can see that the response is created ok and returned but the 4.1 site never receives it. Could the size of the returned message be an issue (is there a max)? there are 219 items in this library (not sure of exact byte size). Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Hi Derek Bond,

Indeed this could be an issue - the migration tool transfers one library at a time, although I have tested it with a library with 1500 items, but the size of the items might be an issue. There are some settings you could modify in MigrationModule.cs in the InitServiceClient method - the settings there are set to 2GB max packet size, which should be enough.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2011 00:00

Not related to your post... did you ever worked for Black Photo? I knew a Derek Bond there.

On your post... I am not even getting a response when I call: http://localhost:18454/NewTry_Migration/Sitefinity/Content/Migration

I feel sad that Telerik did not plan for a better migration tool... Such a great CMS and so many 3.x left in the dust...

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jul-2011 00:00

I am upgrading... wait, how silly of me. This is not an upgrade. I meant to say, I am migrating from 3.7 to 4.1 and not getting as far as the rest of you have. I can get the Migration tool to show up in the menu, but when I use it, I get a pop-up box that tells me it can't find a properly installed service on the 3.7 site. When I followed the instructions and tested the service on the 3.7 site, it showed up fine. So, I am at a loss as to why I am getting this message.

In the webinars that we attended for the awesome new SiteFinity 4.0, they showed us an easy Upgrade button. I don't know if anyone has ever gotten this to work, but that's false advertising in my book. So far, this experience has been the worst ever software upgrade I have ever tried. And it's not even over yet.

Reading the other posts here, I am not very confident that I will get the migration to succeed, even if I get the tool to actually do something. It's really sad. SiteFinity is a great product. It's too bad Telerik doesn't think enough of it's 3.7 customers to supply a clean and easy migration path.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2011 00:00

I used the latest changeset and migrated 100% of my project data. 10x to all and for this tool.

This thread is closed