Custom Modules, 4.1 SP1 and Open Access

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 04:54

Custom Modules, 4.1 SP1 and Open Access

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Hey all,

I've placed this question into the ticketing system, but given my pretty large urgency to get an answer, I wanted to toss the question out in the forums to see if anyone out there has run into this in the SP1 upgrade.

I'm attempting to upgrade custom modules from 4.1 (working) to 4.1 SP1 and cannot compile them.

Error   81  Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2011.1.411.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342' or one of its dependencies. General Exception (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131500)
ExceptionString:
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2011.1.411.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342' or one of its dependencies. General Exception (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131500)
File name: 'Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2011.1.411.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342' ---> System.Exception: The referenced assembly 'C:\Sitefinity Projects\Q1 Projects\empty 4.1 SP1 project\bin\Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions.dll' has the wrong version; expected Version=2011.1.411.2 but found Version=2011.1.510.1.
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.SPI.AssemblyProvider.LoadFromReferences(String assemblyName)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.SPI.AssemblyProvider.RefResolveEventHandler(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args)
   at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
   at System.RuntimeType.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Type.GetType(String typeName)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.Enhancer.CrossDomainRunImpl(AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.EnhancerBase.CrossDomainRun()

C:\Sitefinity Projects\Q1 Projects\OTTA Dev 4.1\Glossary Module\obj\Debug\GlossaryModuleProject.dll GlossaryModuleProject

I've checked and rechecked my references, created empty projects to use as DLL reference pointers, tried the _Empty Project as a pointer that was created, etc.  So I know I have the right DLLs in play.  Still, 35Extensions fail.

Has anyone run into this while performing the upgrade to SP1?  If so, how did you get past it?

Thanks much
- William

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Alas, we are experiencing the same problem.

OK, folks, this isn't funny anymore. As a company who has been strongly recommending the Sitefinity product for years now, we are no longer able to do so with any confidence. 3.x was such a solid performer, and if a bug did appear, it was addressed quickly by the responsive and capable development team. Now, with 4.0, we get unofficial "internal builds" that do nothing to help us deliver projects, and have to wait weeks to get fixes to show-stopping bugs.

We have been wrestling with custom modules - more specifically, with OpenAccess in custom modules - for the past several months now. We like change - really, we do - but when a solid product is "upgraded" to a new version, it has to work. And, 4.x doesn't - at least not outside of a lab. If feels as if stability and maintainability were traded in for a new whiz-bang framework/programming model.

Sigh... Please guys, take a long, hard look at your road map and decide whether it makes more sense to retain your loyal customers, or to shoe-horn in more bells and whistles at the expense of fixing the existing issues. Unless your product "just works" and is easily extensible, the new-world-order Sitefinity no longer looks significantly more attractive than it's competition.

I know everyone is working hard at Telerik to try to keep up with issues. But, we are now unable to deliver on promised features that would have been trivial in 3.x.

Regards,
John

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2011 00:00

I too am facing the same problem!! This is totally ridiculous!!

me too, had this issue.. anyone got workaround?

Hello All

I was running into this issue.  The cause of the issue was that my Telerik .dll files the \bin folder were being replaced with older versions when I would compile my solution.

In my solution, I have two projects: one for the website and another for a module.  I found that if I unloaded the module project from my solution and then recompiled, the Telerik .dll's in my \bin folder of the website project were no longer replaced.  I am now able to run my website.

I have not diagnosed the cause of the .dll's being replaced previously, but it seems that it is related to how I have my projects setup in Visual Studio and how my module project is referencing the .dll's in my website project.

Hope this helps.

Actually, Antoine, I tried that as well and there's more to it than that because the module will still fail to compile when using Open Access and including an older version of the module's dll will bring down your upgraded Sitefinity 4 SP1. There's a definite dll mismatch here that needs to be resolved for anyone using Open Access based custom modules.

Hey all,

The DLL mismatch is caused by outdated SDK files.  I was given updated files for things like Venhance.exe through the ticketing system and have managed to complete a compile of my modules.  If you are running into those issues, I'd suggest asking Telerik through a ticket. 

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2011 00:00

That is correct, The venchance.exe use's the pre SP1 version of OpenAccess extensions. Can we not make this part of the empty project distribution?

I am in the situation where I have to have this done today, but now I have to wait 48 hours for them to send it via a ticket.

I'm having the same problem. Just to be sure I understand correctly. We need to request specifically from Telerik the updated file venchance.exe?

Isn't there a link to download this?

Antoine, you were saying that is working for you. If unloaded the project, reloaded but still the same error.

Is there anything else you did?

Thank you!

I submitted a ticket this morning and have gotten the file already... but yes, the current sdk version of venhance.exe has a dependency on the previous version of OpenAccess.

Thank you John. I'll request now one myself. I hope I'll get it fast.

Please tell me if this resolved entirely the problem.

Thank you!

I am now able to compile the modules, you will have to edit the project file in a text editor and change the key
<OpenAccessPath>$(registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telerik\SitefinitySDK\@LibrariesDir)</OpenAccessPath>

to the path where you placed this new file. (ex. <OpenAccessPath>..\..\..\Library\4.1.1395.0\</OpenAccessPath>)

I noticed that the Sitefinity SDK 4.1 SP1 Installation Package is now available for download.

I have not yet tried installing it, but I imagine this will relieve the issues.

Yes, this should update the sdk on your machine and not require you to update the project file manually.

This doesn't work. I've requested the file from Telerik me too.

Thank you!

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2011 00:00

I requested the venhance files from Telerik after I upgraded to SP1 as I ran into the same issue noted here.  The zip from Telerik not only included venhance but also Telerik.OpenAccess.***.dll, so I copied the files to my /Libraries folder which includes all of the assemblies my solution references.  I compiled and received the error below.  After submitting a ticket with Telerik, they stated that if my project uses newer references - which they do since I just upgraded to 4.1. SP1 - "only include those which are required by Venhance, not all of them" and pointed me to the page in the documentation which lists the assemblies required by OpenAccess, Telerik.Sitefinity.dll included, however the SP1 version requires 2011.1.510.1 of OpenAccess.  Can someone tell me the version of Venhance they're using successfully with 4.1 SP1?

Error 11 Assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' uses 'Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2011.1.510.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2011.1.411.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342'

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jun-2011 00:00

I'm getting the following error when I run my project:

Error 30 Assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' uses 'Telerik.OpenAccess, Version=2011.1.510.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Telerik.OpenAccess, Version=2010.3.1125.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342'

Does this mean I need to ask for the venhance file myself as well?  The project was originally built on Sitefnity 4.0, I updated it to 4.1, along with the SDK SP, and I'm receiving this error.  I have tried to edit the webconfig file to do an assembly binding from the referenced Telerik.OpenAccess assembly file have (2010.3.1125.1) to the Assembly it is looking for (2011.1.510.1). 

Any help on this would be great! Step by step would help too! :)

Thanks!!

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Huda,

The error you are getting is caused by that you have Sitefinity project using a higher version of OpenAccess that the OpenAccess version used by your module. Sitefinity uses 2011.1.510.1 and in the module you use 2010.3.1125.1 which is the version from last year. You need to update your open access to version 510 which is available with the Sitefinity SDK. Then your module will be built. Please also check the other references that you have Telerik.Sitefinity ( and all related) and Telerik.Web.UI. They must be the same version as in the Sitefinity project. Your module may not run if it is not enhanced. Please check the .csproj file of you module and verify.

<UserProperties OpenAccess_ConfigFile="App.config" OpenAccess_ConnectionId="DatabaseConnection1" OpenAccess_Enhancing="True" OpenAccess_UpdateDatabase="False" OpenAccess_EnhancementOutputLevel="1" />
    </VisualStudio>
  </ProjectExtensions>
  <PropertyGroup>
    <PostBuildEvent>
    </PostBuildEvent>
    <PreBuildEvent>
    </PreBuildEvent>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <PropertyGroup>
    <OpenAccessPath>$(SolutionDir)..\..\..\..\..\Common\Dependencies\</OpenAccessPath>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <Import Condition="Exists('$(OpenAccessPath)\OpenAccess.targets')" Project="$(OpenAccessPath)\OpenAccess.targets" />

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed