4.1 SP1 Issues - System is restarting message

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:30

4.1 SP1 Issues - System is restarting message

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2011 00:00

After upgrading my site to SP1, and deploying, the production site periodically hangs.

Locally, running the site either from Visual Studio, or Project Manager, I am getting the following:

The system is restarting...

Please wait a few seconds. You will be redirected automatically.

Hi Tom,

This happens inside SitefinityHttpModule BeginRequest . It looks like the website is not properly upgraded or you have interrupted the upgrade process.
This message indicates restart for all services   and after the we register all IOC types. If this completes, most probably the upgrade has not properly conducted.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I took another copy of the 4.1 site, and reapplied the upgrade to it. I was able to start the site from within Project Manager. I closed the browser, opened the site from within Visual Studio, and got the System is restarting message. Closed Visual Studio, and reopened Project Manager and tried to open the site, and got the System is restarting message. Any suggestions?

Checked the event log, found out I was missing the latest version of Telerik controls.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jun-2011 00:00

quick, somewhat related question ...is it possible to customize this message/page?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Matthew Tamm,

That's a tough one, thank you for pointing out the need for such functionality, but currently it is not possible to change the text of the message or the page.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Sep-2011 00:00

"The system is restarting...

Please wait a few seconds. You will be redirected automatically."

Continues message........restarting again and again.

This happens when I select "Rebuild ALL" instead of Build/Rebuild in visual studio. Every time this happens I create new project in sitefinity and copy my file to new project. This works for me but takes lots of time. Please advice how to resolve it.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Shital,

When you select the option to Rebuild the solution, the assemblies in your project's bin folder are removed. Can you please try pointing the project's references to the assemblies inside the ...\Telerik\_EmptyProject\bin folder instead, as this will ensure that when you rebuild the project you won't have missing assemblies afterwards.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Sep-2011 00:00

I am under similar situation , but my sitefinity is installed on shared hosting service provider , How do I rebuid the bin files. I have tried coping the bin files from blank project , didnt worked.

my blank project has 42 files and my live bin folder has 46 files.

can anyone please help me with this rebuilding the new bin folder on shared hosting .

many thanks
mumtaz 

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Mumtaz,

The additional files in the bin folder might be project dependencies or assemblies built for any custom controls/projects that are referenced in your web application. If that's the case, when you rebuild your project the files will be recreated, so you'll end up needing only the bin files from the Empty Project.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Nov-2011 00:00

I've read the options above and don't see a solution for this.  We get this much of the time after a rebuild but it's sporadic.  Sometimes it shows up for a few seconds and then the site comes up, sometimes it goes into a loop that won't exit and you have to kill the web server and restart it before it comes out.  Sometimes it comes up and then you hit refresh and everything is ok.

Above it said that this could be because of a failed upgrade but then why does it only happen sometimes?

We develop on Cassini (Visual Studio's IIS) mostly and get this regularly but I launched the site to IIS6 on 2003 Server yesterday and got this.  Tried many things to reload site but kept getting it.  Finally restarted IIS and that fixed it.  This will be production, though, so I can't have it go into this loop at random times and need to know what causes it so I can make sure the site never comes up like this when it starts up.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Ben Alexandra,

If the issue was related to a failed upgrade, you'll most likely get an endless loop of the System is restarting... message, since a module cannot be initialized and causes the restarts. However, the message might appear on the frontend by design as well. The whole idea of the System is restarting message, is to let know of the current user doing the request that a restart has ocurred (either provoked by a backend configuration change, or an application pool recycle), and his/her request will be served once the site has loaded again, so the user does not perform any additional requests that cannot be served. If the cause of the message is a predicted site restart, then there is nothing you should worry about, since site recompilations and backend configuration changes are rarely performen once the site's live. However, if you notice a pattern of unpredicted restarts, maybe there's several things you can check in your hosting environment.

1. Can you please check the rapid-file protection and set the time period to 2 minutes.
2. You may consider setting the max number of re-compiles. Since template building is compiling templates runtime into assemblies that are loaded in the current AppDomain, ASP.NET has a mechanism of unloading the AppDomain (causing application restart) to free the out-of-date assemblies from memory when they reach a certain amount. Please add the following code to your webconfig:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <system.web>
    <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0" numRecompilesBeforeAppRestart="15">
    </compilation>
  </system.web>
</configuration>
The default value is 15 which gives us 15 template recompilations before the application is restarted. But as the name suggests this number includes all runtime compilations such as web site (.aspx) page recompilations.

Best wishes, Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed