Download link / Download List / Dokuments and Files

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 11:03

Download link / Download List / Dokuments and Files

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-May-2011 00:00

It could have gone to sugestions as well.

Dokuments

You can give two documents the same name which results in the same probleme we had with images. Two documents, one is gone!!

You should be warned that you can not have two images with the same URL. The size still shows differntly but off course the URL points to one and the same document.

When editin properties and click on open file you get the right document even though the url is the same as the others you gave the same title.

Download List

a) you can not choose more then one Library in a download list - its either all or one.
b) The icon has red x on it ? Why - See image
c) you can not choose your own templates only modify existing - if this would be true then you can only have one download list style
d) There seems to be no way to sort documents like you can sort images That would defenitely be a big plus.

Download Link
a) you can not choose a template so you are left with an ugly link with the doc name or title if you filled it in.
b) you can not change the name of the link.
It would be nice if you could like you would enter a normal document link in content block give the link a different text. _blank (on/off) would be nice if you want to go XHMLT 1.1
c) not sure if you can turn icon on/off for download link

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

You can give two documents the same name which results in the same probleme we had with images. Two documents, one is gone!!

You should be warned that you can not have two images with the same URL. The size still shows differntly but off course the URL points to one and the same document.

Thank you for the suggestion. We have this logged for some time now - we will at least provide a warnirng message.

Download List

a) you can not choose more then one Library in a download list - its either all or one
This is by design. If we allow documents from more than one library to be added the UI will become really complicated. You can organize your documents in libraries in a way you want them to be displayed on the website.

b) The icon has red x on it ? Why - See image
This is probably a bug. I will investigate a little bit more and if I reproduce it successfully will log it in our system.

c) you can not choose your own templates only modify existing - if this would be true then you can only have one download list style.
We have ideas to add this in the future but this is not planned or scheduled yet.

d) There seems to be no way to sort documents like you can sort images That would defenitely be a big plus.
Good suggestion, thank you. Will be logged for future discussions.

Download Link
a) you can not choose a template so you are left with an ugly link with the doc name or title if you filled it in.
You can use a css class to change the appearance of the link.

b) you can not change the name of the link.
It would be nice if you could like you would enter a normal document link in content block give the link a different text. _blank (on/off) would be nice if you want to go XHMLT 1.1
Will forward this to the team for furhter discussion.

c) not sure if you can turn icon on/off for download link
There is no UI for this.

Your Telerik points are updated.

All the best,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

Dear Antoaneta

a) you can not choose more then one Library in a download list - its either all or one
This is by design. If we allow documents from more than one library to be added the UI will become really complicated. You can organize your documents in libraries in a way you want them to be displayed on the website

The idea is not documents from various libraries but 1-n libraries.

c) you can not choose your own templates only modify existing - if this would be true then you can only have one download list style.
We have ideas to add this in the future but this is not planned or scheduled yet.

To me this c) is important because it will give you an option to have different download list

Download Link
You can use a css class to change the appearance of the link.

Please keep the end-users in mind who would have to have a list of css styles to apply. This is not really handy

Thanks for listening to our feedback.

Markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you for the clarifications.
We will definitely take in mind your suggestions and the described use cases when we start working on improvements in these widgets.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us.

Best wishes,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi,

I can suggest another small thing. On Sitefinity we can create ours classications, but we can't use it to filter documents in Download List.

If we have this it'll become possible to display documents from various libraries or not multiply libraries.

Regards,
Nicolas

@nicolas

You can set categories to documents in a library

Let's say you have created

Library1

with

mydoc1.doc
mydoc2.doc
mydoc3.doc
mydoc4.doc

you can now create two categories (even/odd)

give mydoc1.doc and mydoc3.doc hte categorie odd
give mydoc2.doc and mydoc4.doc hte categorie even

When you now create a download list and select the Library1 you can add a filter by categorie for example odd and only give mydoc1.doc and mydoc3.doc will be shown in the list.

Markus

Yes but only if you create your categories into existing classification Categories.

If you create a hierarchical type classification named myTheme and create category into it. You can't use it into the widget.

All widgets take only classification Categories and Tags.

Regards,
Nicolas

@Nicolas

I think hierachrical categories works as well in the download list.

If I remember correct you have to douple click either the parent categories or the checkbox in front of it.

Then you get the subcategories.

I would consider this a bug or at least not very user friendly.

Give it a try

Markus

I probably make a bad explanation. I joins picture to illustrate.

I create a hierarchical type classification (classifications.png) named 'Legal Categories'. In widget edition (downloadList.png) it's impossible to select a category who is in 'Legal Categories'.

If you really structure your site and strongly typified contents of this one, you can't only use default one 'Categories' and 'Tags'.

Regards,
Nicolas

Dear Nicolas

Have a look at this screencast if this is what you are looking for www.marktold.com/screencast/categories.swf

If you see your 'Legal Categories' then you have to double click it to open it up to see the subcategories.

If you do not see your 'Legal Categories' then it's another story and I am not able to help you.

Markus

Doesn't see my 'Legal Categories' and it's the real problem.

It's not a problem of subcategories, the problem is on a step above. It's a classification problem, all widgets are hard code to get categories into default classification named 'Categories'. You can't use another one.

Regards,
Nicolas

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2011 00:00

Hello Nicolas,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. That is correct, the widgets are hardcoded for the default classification "Categories", which we realize is a limitation.

I will log a feature request for this to be changed.

Your Telerik points have been updated.

All the best,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi guys, sorry for opening  an old thread, i want to create a filter options for a user to open a document library, the scenario is i have created 4 libraries containing various documents relevent to library names, i want to show the libraries titles only on the right panel i have created can i do it using the documents list widget.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi guys, sorry for opening  an old thread, i want to create a filter options for a user to open a document library, the scenario is i have created 4 libraries containing various documents relevent to library names, i want to show the libraries titles only on the right panel i have created can i do it using the documents list widget.

Thanks

This thread is closed