Anyone get a virus from the free downloads?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:04

Anyone get a virus from the free downloads?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-May-2011 00:00

Hi all,

I'm new to telerik, as I rule I stay away from 3rd party products--even some of MS's controls too--and I recently downloaded a number of the free apps from the telerik site. Now my pc is acting as if it has a virus. Which is strange because this isn't the sort of site the virus hackers hang out at. 

I downloaded the Mock App, the Framework App, and the Decompile Beta App for VS2010. Now my pc is a mess (Vista Ultimate) and acting as if a virus is in it, but my virus software has gone coo coo too. I launch WebRoot and just get the background frame with none of the controls in it. I attempt to reinstall that product and it frees the OS at the blue donut. I tried to uninstall the telerik products from Control Panel, but the windows installer freezes right after it launches.

Tried Safe Mode to no effect. VS2010 won't open. I get to the splash screen and it freezes. Its not even listed in the task manager, so I have to kill it using the process tab. IE works fine oddly enough.

All this makes like a virus more than a bug, but I'd think a company like telerik would have their download area well secured. Other than surfing the C# and .Net sites and blogs a bit for solutions, that's all my activity of late, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had such an issue.

Kind regards,
D. Horne

PS: A funny aside. I called Web Root for tech support and "due to the huge success of their latest product release", the hold time for support was an hour. lol. Companies are rushing to market and then rushing to man the support lines. As an recovering engineer, I feel the pain of those engineering managers. Working to midnight to get hit the market window and then working until midnight to patch it afterwards. All so that the CEO gets their quarterly bonus.

Update:   +3 days now. I've spent the last 3 days wiping my disk and starting from scratch again. Some of you know what that is like. I'm adding to this post because I do not want to demonize telerik erroneously. They appear to be a long standing and reputable company from what I see here. I'm just not familiar with them--not unheard of to be sure. That said, I'm going to continue my policy of staying away from 3rd party products and "growing my own". My issue is as much, maybe more, with Microsoft than the 3rd party developers and it certainly IS NOT with Telerik. MS is a moving target to work with using APIs to code tools, they've been that way from the beginning (yes I was here at the beginning [aka:pre-PC]. Finally, I'm almost back up and running. Yes, I back up my drive hourly. This was a first restore and it did a "less-than" half-baked job at that (not freeware and not a Telerik product either).  Kind regards. DH

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2011 00:00

Hello Daniel,

Happy to hear you resolved your virus issues. Thank you for the confirmation it is not caused by Telerik products. Just to assure you further all Telerik products are 100% guaranteed virus and harmful attachment free and we are having strong security measures that will not allow such issues to ever occur.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2012 00:00

yup, when you search on google some site offer to download the software but they are not, it may be malware or trojan's.
You need to install a virus removal software in you system to secure your computer from these type of infections.
I am using kaspersky......

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2012 00:00

yup, when you search on google some site offer to download the software but they are not, it may be malware or trojan's.
You need to install a virus removal software in you system to secure your computer from these type of infections.
I am using kaspersky......

This thread is closed