Schedule a Page the right way

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:54

Schedule a Page the right way

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2011 00:00

Let's see if I am once again way off or if this makes sense.

Lets say it's 10 am in the morning and you want to set up a page to be publisht from 3pm to 4pm.

Crate a new page
Give the page a title
Now for some strange reason you decide to go to more actions and set the schedule dates first (because this is important to you) and you set it correct to 3pm -  4pm. Once you click schedule you page gets sceduled and you are taken back to pages and see a blue sign (sf_schedule_01.png)

Of course you never had the change to enter text so you click on the page and (since you have set the dates allready) you just enter you text and are left with two choices

1) save as draft (which is not right to you because the page is finished)
2) publish (which makes sense to you since you have set the time when this page should be visible)

If you take choice number two it seems the page gets published immediately and is visible in the navigatin and can be accessed.

-----

So you notice this problem and remember that you have to use the 'more actions' button to schedule the page. Well you are a smart one. So you go into the page and use this option.

But somehow it seems to me the pages still is in the navigation and a new page is created which will be visible from 3-4 pm.

------
I guess what you would have to do if you make the mistake of publishing after entering content.

1) unpublish the page first
2) open the page again and use more actions to set the schedule new.

------

I think the idea behind this is that you can have mutliple versions of 1 page scheduled for different times. To me if all of the above is true this is very confusing. And not what I simple end-user would expect, or is it?

To me once you hit schedule it should automatically unpublish the page and publish it again for the given times.

BTW: once you are in a state were you have a published page and a new version published to be shown later you can not unpublish the page (sf_schedule_04.png) You would have to

a) publish the page that has a current version and a future planned version
b) then unpublish the same page
c) then open the page
d) then more actions schedule

(As well as the Schedule should be under titel & properties and not more actions, but thats another thread)

Markus

Well I could have said it in a shorter way.

Any page schedule needs to be published with "more actions" and not with the publish button. Then you should be on the save side even though this seems to me somehow not consistent.

Markus

Another thing is the following example

On the 20th you schedule a page to be shown from the 21st till the 22nd. (And now you know how to do it correctly)

On the 23 the page will be shown as unpublished under pages which is correct (no indication of a passed schedule - which is another feature request to see from till in the grid)

Now if you publish this page from Actions. you will se that the page will be unpublished on the 22nd (which was actually yesterday in this example but the page will still be published)

So for any other users this might look strange to see a page beeing published on the 23rd with a comment in it that it will be unpublished on the 22nd.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

I understand your frustration with the procedure of scheduling you described
a) publish the page that has a current version and a future planned version
b) then unpublish the same page
c) then open the page
d) then more actions schedule
This is how this is implemented now with simple steps that will not alow the user to do all four things in one step for a practical reason.

Regarding your last post about the unpublished date which remains after publishing. This is a bug I have logged it to be fixed in next release PITS.

Updated your Telerik points!

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2011 00:00

Dear Stanislav

Just some more thoughts about this.

The screenshots show the following done on the 26th

sf_s_01.png scheduled a page
sf_s_02.png as this page is shown under pages (I have no clue from when till when)
sf_s_03.png I opend the page and saved as draft

As you can see in sf_s_03.png the page is shown as draft now.

Has the scheduling been canceled by saving as draft? Then the the icon would acutally show whats going on.
or
Is the first version still going to be visible on the dates set in sf_s_01.png which would not be know to me that someting is going to happen with this page.

---------
I know you had your reasons to implement it that way.

It would have been simply better if you could have given a page a property like title - show from till and be able to publish. Status could be Published to be shown from till

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 28-May-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

Scheduling will be canceled because as explained in the previous post we implemented simple steps only that save the last action taken on a page. In this case saving the page as draft is the last action and it is executed as desired. To edit a scheduled page you should schedule it again after the edits are done.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed