Role Permissions not working for custom role

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:45

Role Permissions not working for custom role

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2011 00:00

I've setup a new role and assigned a user to it. I then modified the permissions of the role to include managing pages among other things. When I login as this user, all I am seeing is 'Dashboard' and 'Content'. What am I doing wrong here?

I've attached images of the user setup, the permissions and the backend navigation when logged in as this user.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2011 00:00

Dear Mark

At the moment custom roles are a bit cumbersome.

If I am not mistaken at the moment you have to Pages and click on "Permissions for all pages" on the right bottom side of the admin page -  grant access for ALL PAGES for your custom role and then remove the role from the pages you dont want it to have access.

Try this
Markus

Hi Mark,

To make the Pages link available in the main menu in the backend you should go to Pages> Permissions for all pages. You should give your users permissions to edit page content and to modify pages. Now your users will see the Pages menu and will have an access to all pages.

Please note that if you need some pages to be restricted for some of the users you need to go to the selected page and remove the role/user from there.

Greetings,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

@Antoaneta

I could not have said it any better :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Antoaneta, even after assigning this role every permission possible for pages, it still does not have the ability to view Pages.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Mark,

For a workaround that does not require breaking inheritance then manually maintaining permissions, and granting modify permissions to all pages (a huge security issue), see the code fix provided by the Telerik Admin, and the post I just made in this thread:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/custom-role-in-page-editing.aspx

If you are looking for some more background on this issue, also see this thread:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/custom-role-permissions-to-edit-pages.aspx

Tom

This thread is closed