4.1 SP1 Template Change and Master Pages - Layout Break

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:51

4.1 SP1 Template Change and Master Pages - Layout Break

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2011 00:00

Hey all,

Just ran into another potential bug with 4.1 SP1.  If I take a page created with a master page template (not one of the built-in templates) and change the template to another master page template, I can no longer edit that page.  The layout is all over the place, forcing me to have to delete that page.

If before I change the template, however, I delete all the controls on the page, everything works as expected.

Basically that means an inability to change templates from one custom master page to another unless I delete all the content of the page out first - which at that point I might as well create a new page.

This worked fine in 4.1 before SP1.

Anyone else run into this?

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2011 00:00

I'm having the same problem now as well.  Didn't think about that until right after I hit the publish button.

However, I wasn't changing master templates, I was changing a layout control to split up the main content area.

I have 7 pages running off this template and would rather not recreate the pages.  Anyone have a fix yet?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2011 00:00

Nathan,

I have a ticket in and looks like my problem is having a ContentPlaceholder in the <head> area in my master pages.  Looks like orphaned controls are all tossed into the <head> when I change templates.  I haven't had time to sufficiently test this out, but I was told the workaround was to delete that ContentPlaceholder from all master pages.

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

You the man.  I removed the contentplaceholder from the head area, the controls then moved into the next contentplaceholder, and I was able to move the orphaned controls wherever I needed.

Thanks for the help.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-May-2011 00:00

I wish I could mark my own reply as the answer :)

I'll give it to Nathan, as this works for me beautifully too.

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2011 00:00

Hello William,

For a workaround to those master pages that are using the content placeholders for some needed content you will have to edit the template you want to put on a already created page in order to preserve the content at the places it is as described in this forum post. The template will be editable you will be able to drag widgets and edit them. The bad thing is you will get a visual at top of the content of your content placeholders placed on the current template, but that will not be visible in the front end.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed