4.1 SP1 - Links to images and theme style sheets generating

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:08

4.1 SP1 - Links to images and theme style sheets generating 404 Errors

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jun-2011 00:00

While trying to straighten out issues with our site, we deployed the site to 2 other servers. i got the site up and running on one server, where we are performing some tests.

On the other server, none of the styles are being applied, and no images are showing - see attached screenshot from fiddler.

Links are being generated correctly:

<link href="/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/ADSDefault/App_Themes/ADSGrey/global/elements.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<link href="/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/ADSDefault/App_Themes/ADSGrey/global/font_styles.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

<link href="/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/ADSDefault/App_Themes/ADSGrey/global/main.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<link href="/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/ADSDefault/App_Themes/ADSGrey/global/mastertemplate.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

Theme is registered: ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/ADSDefault/App_Themes/ADSGrey

NetworkService has rights to the App_Data folder

Files physically exist, but if you copy and paste any of the links into the browser, it throws a 404

Any thoughts?

Hey Tom,

This thread could be the cause of your issue. Believe it or not, but with SF 4 you can't actually use an "images" folder in your file system without some changes to backend settings and running a script to repair your existing image library. The easier method (other than Telerik fixing this horrendous limitation) is to use a folder called "img" or similar.

See here: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/sf-4-1-does-not-server-static-images-properly-404-error.aspx

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Phill

Phil,

That does not explain why the images are being served properly on 2 out of 3 copies of the site on different servers, and does not address the issue with the styles.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hi Tom,

Sorry while writing response I forgot that you'd mentioned it works on other servers. That said, I'm not sure how that's possible. I have deployed a couple sites using SF4 (SP1 now) and you can't serve images from domain.com/images/ without changing library settings and running that script. Maybe the site you think is broken is actually behaving as it should (or at least how it does for everyone else) and the sites that appear to be working are doing something out of the norm. 

The other thing to check would be if you've got NetworkService with right access to App_Data is to see what user your AppPool is running at. I believe this user needs to have the same level access to App_Data as it's the user/process that actually does the reading/writing to App_Data and not NetworkService (unless your AppPool is running as that user).

Cheers,
Phill

I did double check that NetworkService had the correct perms for the App_data folder. Two of the sites are on windows 2003, with IIS 6, and the settings are identical - one of these is working (with other issues), the other is the one with the styles/images problem.  The third site is on a windows 2008 box with IIS 7, which seems to be working so far - we are running tests on that now.

The project is "broken" from upgrading to SP1, and I have a support ticket for it.  Waiting for a response, when this new issue popped up.

Thanks
 Tom

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Tom,

We sent a reply to your support request. Let us know if there are still issues.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2011 00:00

I was sent a link to a KB article which addressed the images issue, but nothing with the theme style sheets.

We created a new project, and deployed to the production server last night. This morning we will add content, themes and images, and see if we have the same problem.

KB Article: KB

This thread is closed