Missing Pages in the Menu

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 05:57

Missing Pages in the Menu

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

I have a number of pages setup as simple redirect pages to link to other internal pages and external pages, but none of them are appearing the my menu control.

it all seems to set up correctly.  show in navigation is ticked.

Screen shots attached of configurations.

If you could help that would be great.

Thanks
Byron

Dear Byron

I see that you have additional URL activaed but not URLs in there. Does it make a difference when you remove the checkbox for additional URL?

Markus

Hello,

That's not the default behavior for this kind of pages, I have just tested this functionality, including the scenarios with/without additional URLs marked and left blank/filled in - the pages always show up in the navigation as they're supposed to. Is it possible that you have set some permissions over them that do not allow other users to see these pages. Also does placing the Navigation control with the default settings on a blank page still reproduce this behavior?

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Actually it appears that only pages I link to using the "Page from this site" aren't showing up.

Ie. (Doesn't work)
1) Create new page
2) Set to redirect to  "This Page redirects to another Page"
3) Select a page with "Page from this site" (Eg Contact)
4) not shown on menu

OR (works)
1) Create or edit page
2) Set to redirect
3) Select a page with "Web Address"
3.1) set address = "~/contact"
4) Page shows up fine on menu.

Edit: attach files

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Byzza,

Can you, please, provide me with temporary login credentials for your site's backend so I can inspect this behavior further. Please take a look at the attached video I've recorded following the scenario you've listed and let me know if there's anything I have missed, however this functionality has been tested on several different projects and it works consistently in both scenarios.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Boyan,
Thanks for the follow up and video.

The only difference between what I've done and the video was that it was a sub page of another page instead of the root.

* Page 1
* * * Contact (redirect Link)
* Page 2
* Contact

Oh and unfortuantly this is an internal system only avalible via our intranet at the moment so I can't get you a login sorry.

Regards
Byron

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Byzza,

Thank you for the clarification! It seems that this was the problem - I have successfully reproduced the issue at hand, however further testing proved that this functionality is working properly in the internal codebase that we have for the upcoming SP2 release, upgrading to it should fix the problems. Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Boyan,

I'm experiencing the problem described here. I've upgraded to Sitefinity 4.2 and the problem persists. I've also noticed that setting a page as "Use this page only to group other pages" has the same affect.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Raymond Dowe,

A redirect page would not show up in the navigation if one of the following conditions is true:
1. It has ShowInNavigation set to false (I believe we can omit this one, as you've probably configured it properly)
2. The user currently browsing the site does not have permissions to see it
3. There is no language version of the page the redirect page points to in the current language selected for the frontend

OR

1. The page to which the redirect page is redirecting has
a) ShowInNavigation set to false
b) permissions set that does not allow the current user to view it

In the standard case (i.e. default permissions set, both pages (redirect, and page to which the redirect page is redirecting) have ShowInNavigation set to true, and if in Multilingual, there is a version of the content page in both languages)  the redirect page should show up in the navigation control. Please take a look at the attached short video which I've recorded for you and let me know if I've missed something.

A more advanced scenario could be if you are using a customized navigation control which is set to omit the redirect pages, however I believe this is not the current case, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Hi Boyan,

The issue is now resolved. It was related to:

1. The page to which the redirect page is redirecting has
a) ShowInNavigation set to false

The parent group page was set to show in navigation, but both it's children were not. This behaviour was non-obvious to me. I would have expected the group page's visibility to be independent of it's children pages.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Raymond Dowe,

We're glad to hear that you have found the reasons for the problematic behavior. We've posted a reply to your support thread, you can check it out there. For your convenience I'm pasting our reply below as well:

"This behavior has been introduced by design, in order to meet our client feedback. The logic behind it is that the group page does not actually have a PageData object, so it simply serves for the sole purpose of grouping the pages under it. In other words, since the group page's default behavior is to redirect to the first child page, this would result in a conflict, as the pages are marked not to be shown in navigation. However, if you have some specific suggestions on how we might improve this functionality, please do not hesitate to share them with us, we're always open to hear our clients' opinion."

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Dear Raymond

For once I am 100% behind a design desition. When a group page has no children, or no children to be shown I would not know why a item should be shown in the navigation.

Markus

PS: Telerik so you see I do agree once in a while :-)

This thread is closed