Upgrade from 4.1 SP2 to SP3 FAIL

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 00:21

Upgrade from 4.1 SP2 to SP3 FAIL

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jul-2011 00:00

I'm having some trouble upgrading from 4.1.1395.0 to 4.1.1501.0 (SP3). Hope someone can help.

I've followed the upgrade instructions to a T.
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/installation-and-administration-guide/upgrading-sitefinity-projects.aspx

I have a local copy of the production database and files on the server. I made sure my database connection was pointing to my local box and not the production server in the config.

I had a local copy of the site up and running. I browsed through it to check that I had current content and the version was 4.1.1395.0 in the administration menu.

Step #4 seemed to work beautifully. The upgrade progress sailed all the way to 100%.

When I got to step #5 where it says to recompile your solution, I suddenly got about a dozen missing references in the VS2010 project. 

Screenshot attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Two words. "drush up"

Hello Keith,

The problem may have come from the fact that the referenced assemblies are coming from another place and after the recompile action the system cannot find their appropriate paths, thus throwing you the errors. You have to make sure that you have all proper assemblies, in your bin folder of your project and have these .dlls referenced. The best way to do this is to take the contents of the bin folder that is in folder "EmptyProject ( which can be found in the folder where your Project Manager is, after you create a sample,test project ) " and paste it in the bin folder of your project. Then remove all the references from the project and add them again but this time pick the dlls from the bin folder.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

So this is weird. I copy all the files from _EmptyProject/bin to my project's bin folder, but when I click Rebuild in VS2010, half of the files disappear from the folder and the references are no longer valid. Any ideas why that's happening? I have no pre or post-build events in my project. Thanks again.

EDITED

Apparently the bin folder is a special folder for Visual Studio and should not be used to store source dlls. Others are having this problem. Here's one of the posts I found. 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2179856/keep-visual-studio-from-deleting-everything-from-bin-on-rebuild

I opened the csproj folder in a text editor and carefully did a find and replace on 

<HintPath>bin\
to
<HintPath>..\..\_EmptyProject\bin\

and 

<DocumentationFile>bin\
to
<DocumentationFile>..\..\_EmptyProject\bin\

Reopened the project in VS2010 and Rebuilt. Now my project's references always work and the bin folder always contains the correct files after Rebuild.

Please let me know if you any foresee problems the next time I need to upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

My project rebuilds.

The dlls are copied to the bin folder.

Telerik.Sitefinity.dll in the bin folder has version 4.1.1501.0.

Restarted Cassini

Can someone please take a look at the attached screenshot and tell me if two different build numbers on the version screen is normal? I'm not sure if the upgrade has been successful or not.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jul-2011 00:00

Hi Keith,

The last screenshot shows that the current version of Sitefinity is 4.1 1501, but your license is for version 4.1.1395. You can download the proper license key from your Sitefinity account page and activate it.

Best wishes,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jul-2011 00:00

Thanks Victor. I understand now. I updated the license and now the build and product version are in sync. Thanks.

This thread is closed