Page Permissions - selected roles or users(plus administrato

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:21

Page Permissions - selected roles or users(plus administrator)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jul-2011 00:00

When I restrict access for specific pages, even though it says "selected roles or users(plus administrator)" as the administrator, I do not have access.  For instance, if it's Viewing, I will not be able to view the page unless I add myself specifically.

Also,  I noticed that Administrators is not listed in the available roles - is this by design?

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Suzanne,

If you select "Selected roles or users(plus administrator)" this would automatically hide the Adminsitrators role from the roles list, as it is included by presumption. However the role should be available in other role selection lists. By the way, the Administrators role has no restrictions in Sitefinity by default, so the behavior you are describing is really interesting. Could it be that you have set explicit deny permissions for that role globally for all pages?

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2016 00:00

Hello,

It's been several years since the original author's post, but unfortunately I'm having the same issue as described above: Administrators and all other roles get specifically DENIED from seeing content the moment you set any one role in the "Selected roles or users(plus administrator)" field.

Do you know if this issue has a resolution?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Mar-2016 00:00

Hi Vlad,

As mentioned above, the Administrators have no any restrictions by design, so the behaviour is strange. Can you confirm your Sitefinity version used and could you please provide a screen shot of the permissions you have set when the administrator could not view the content. Also, where this restriction is applied /frontend or backend/?

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Mar-2016 00:00

Svetoslav,

We are using Sitefinity 8.2.5900

We have since overridden the error using the Global.asax file, and are unable to generate it again without rolling back the site, but the error was this:

This type of page is not served.
Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it has been explicitly forbidden.     Please review the URL below and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

This occurs when:

1. an administrator goes into a "Set Permissions" screen for any page or content
  2. clicks "Break Inheritance" at the top
  3. clicks on "View this page and its child pages"
  4. changes the selection from "Everyone" to another role, say Paying Member, using the "Selected roles or users (plus administrator)" button.
  5. After saving this, Paying Members will have access to this page or content item, but the administrator is specifically denied access, receiving the above error
  6. The only way to resolve this is to manually assign the Administrator to all other roles in the system (such as Paying Member, etc). Only then will they be able to see items that have been restricted to certain roles.

I believe the bug lies in the "Selected users (plus administrator)" functionality, whereby the selected user is indeed given access, but the administrator is automatically denied instead of automatically included.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2016 00:00

Hi Vlad,

Thank you for the detailed steps you have provided. I performed the same steps however I was not able to reproduce the issue. I am sending attached a short video fro your reference to show the results on my end.

Am I missing something in my steps? Is it also an option for you to send a video demonstrating how the issue reproduces on your side? This may help to get better idea of the issue you experience.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed