Error when adding new field

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 06:44

Error when adding new field

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to add a new FileFieldDefinitionElement field to BlogBackendEditPost > Main Section but I get this error:

Property accessor 'IsMultiselect' on object 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields.Config.FileFieldDefinitionElement' threw the following exception:'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'

Any ideas?

SF 4.2, File system For App, Win 7, Chrome.

Cheers

Jodie

Hello Jodie,

We confirm this is a bug. FileFieldDefinitionElement doesn't initialize it's default values properly. The issue is logged and will probably appear as a fix in SP. As a workaround you could actually add such field directly in the configuration files in App-Data.
But how exactly do you plan to use this field? Adding such field to the view of some content item doesn't automatically give the functionality for uploading and associating files to it. We currently have such fields in the Libraries but there is also custom server logic that handles what's going on when the file is uploaded and where it is kept and how it is associated with the content item.

Kind regards,
Pepi
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Pepi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Basically I am trying to let a user select a blog post image from the file system that we have already uploaded to the server as we dont use the libraries because they are stored in the database.

We are still using 3.7 and I am wanting to make the move to 4.2, just getting my head around how our custom code transposes to the new version. The move from 3.7 to 4.2 is alot to get my head around, so I may have missed the purpose of the custom fields.

As an aside.... are there any plans to include the use of libraries that store media in the file system? This would be a great feature.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jodie

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Jodie,

Please accept my apologies for the late reply.

We'll discuss the idea of using libraries that store media in the file system and if it is accepted we'll think of implementing this in the future. Up to now you can use the workaround that Pepi suggested.

All the best,
Veronica Milcheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed