4.2 SBE Backend languages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:46

4.2 SBE Backend languages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Aug-2011 00:00

One more thing that still does not work in 4.2. Add different back-end languages!

The language button under settings does simply nothing. Only workaround is when you need only one language. overwrite the default english with a spanish language file for example.

Once again I vote for having a better system for languages

a) include them at first
b) make them updatable

for example Newsletter was changed to e-mail campain as far as I can read. German still stats newsletter (Beta)

Now

a) the translations probably have not been updated
b) they are hard to find in the marketplace (the should have a prominent place if not included) Yes I found them after looking some :-)
c) it would be nice if there was a service to update them automically without having to go to marketpalce download import bla bla

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for contacting us.
In SBE different backend languages are not supported. You can change the backend language and start using it in German, but you will not be able to switch between two or more languages.

a) the translations probably have not been updated: I believe they are but will check this with the team
b) they are hard to find in the marketplace (the should have a prominent place if not included) Yes I found them after looking some :-) : Will share your feedback with our webteam to see what we can do
c) it would be nice if there was a service to update them automically without having to go to marketpalce download import bla bla: Really nice feature, has a lot of scence. Currently there is no connection between the Marketplace and Sitefinity installation but we will think of somethnig in the future

Your Telerik points are updated.

Regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Antoaneta

You got to be kidding me. Check back. I am 100% sure that the SBE has the possiblity to add different BACK END languages. I know that multilingual sites are not provided but that has nothing to do with the back end.

All you developer frinds have to do is Active the Administration - Settings (Basic) - Language link and simply hide the feature for the front end.

You seriouly dont want to tell me that Telerik limits the SBE to only english speaking customers when everything is in place. And I sure hope it not a policy to force Germans, Italian, French and all others to uprade to SE just to have the backend in there own language.

--------------

I don't want a connection to the marketplace I want all available languages inculded out of the box for the BACK END - And once again also for the SBE!!

Why do we have to to marketplace first to install the appropiate languges when they could be include from the start.

----------

Thanks for the points. But what we need is to be able to use different languages in the BACK END for SBE as well.

Markus

Hey Markus, I think this was a big gripe initially in that giant thread before release remember?  Wasn't the response something like if you need more than one language you're clearly bigger than a small business or something like that?

@Steve

First of all I am not talking about FRONT END.

Second. I live in Switzerland where frensh, italian an german (among another language) is spoken. If you look at this site www.auberge-cigogne.ch which was done in SF 3.7 you will see that this is a small restaurant but its in a region where french and german is spoken.

So 50 pages is more then enough. But we were forced to use the SE.

I still don't understand that the number of langues has to do with the size of a business. Think about California or Florida. So many speak spanish there. So why is it that SB can only serve the clients in one language.

But again that a Telerik desition I don't have to understand. To me limiting it down to 50 pages would be enough.

----------------
The backend is a whole other story. Now the boss of the litte Restaurant does not speak much french but the lady running the restaurant speak almost no german. So now Antonata tells me you can only import french or german and overwrite the englich default back-end language.

This is simply sad if that would be true.

To be honest I tell you what happend. SBE should not be able to have multiple front end languages. So what's the easiest way to do. Disable the langueage link under Admin - Settings - Basic. The link is still there.

So bottom line to me is. This must be a bug. I can not belive that Telerik would disable a feature (different back-end languages) to force me to buy SE. Haveing only 50 Pages in one language should be enough downsizeing.

Therefore I hope Georgi or someone will read this thread and say. Yeah that makes sense. Telerik has nothing to loose if we give the SBE multiple backend languages and the technologie is already in place.

All they have to do is enable the link languages and hide the part for front-end in my opinion.

Kind regards

Markus

Hey hey hey now buddy, don't shoot the messenger, nowhere did I say I agreed with it :)

Personally IMO if only one person can enter the backend at any given time what does it matter what language they see it in.

Sorry Steve

José works Monday (ES)
John works Thuesday (EN)
Johan works Wednesday (DE)
Giovanni works Thurday (IT)
The rest of the week they are at the beach in Greece :-)

They could all set there prefered language in the profile and would be happy employees making less fuss about SF not beeing clear to them :-)

So clearly you can see why it could make sense to have mutliple backend languages :-)

Sorry for coming on so strong. But the answer from A just ...... .. ...!

And I can not belive it to be true.

Markus

Hello Marcus, Steve,

I understand your arguments very well. As I stated in my previous post in SBE mutlilingual is supported but you can use the backend only in one language. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause but this is our licensing policy.

I will raise an internal dicsussion on this but cannot promise that this will be changed. 

Greetings,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Antoanate

A still say you are wrong!

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/back-end-localization.aspx
26.11.10 Grisha Karanikolov
No backend localization out of the box for SBE?
Currently true, but will turn into false shortly after the official release.

01.12.10 Grisha Karanikolov
Sitefinity 4.0 Standard Edition already has backend localization enabled. The backend localization for Small Business Editions doesn't work as expected, which will be fixed.

03.12.10 Kalina
Having backend localization in SBE is in the plans for Q1 (ending in March).

21.04.11 Georgi
Yes this is supported. You can import any of the language packs for the back-end, but you can only have 1 language.

So I bet you 100 Telerik Points that this is a BUG and not a Feature. Or I simply have been had by Telerik :-)

Markus

Hi Markus,

Please, take a look at what you have quoted:

21.04.11 Georgi
Yes this is supported. You can import any of the language packs for the back-end, but you can only have 1 language.

In SBE you can use the backend in only 1 language.

Kind regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Dear Antoaneta

I am willing to double my bet 200 Telerik points that it should be possible by policy to have multiple back-end languages in the SBE but only ONE language in the front end.

Willing to take the bet :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

I realize that sometimes the information coming from our side might be misleading but my final statement is that you can use only one backend language. 

500 points are added to your account as a sign of grattitude.

Greetings,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Has Telerik reconsidered the option to give SBE users the ability to use the backend in different languages.

This does simply not make sense. Schould be so easy to implement (its there) and why have a malus on all users living in coutries where more then one language is spoken.

- I know only one can be logged in
- I know I can overwrite the english with another language

But what if two people would like to adminstrate it. One in german, the other in english. Maybe this could be implemented when Telerik fixes the but that the back-end changes languages when using different front-end languages.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am really glad to share that the desired functionality will be available with the upcoming SP release. 

I hope this feature will work for you.

All the best,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Antoaneta

I heard the rumor :-)

Which is it

a) I was right all the time
b) Bitching about something help
c) Someone at Telerik thought it makes sense
d) it was a bug
e) you had enough of me comlaining so you fixed it on your spare time.

BTW my bet should not have been 100 Telerik points because this would have been rediculos - even doubling it to two hunderd. I was talking about 100 USD worth of points. But you did not take the bet anyhow.

So we wait and see if it will acutally work :-) If yes I am once more more then happy to have stayed with Sitefinity and Telerik starts to deliver what I expect.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

Actually you helped us a lot to prioritize this feature. We had some internal discussion what should and what should not be included in Sitefinity SBE and we recosnidered our policy.

Once again thank you for the support and cooperation. Please accept our appologies for the inconvenience we caused you.

Kind regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Antoaneta

So the answer is b) LOL

Thanks once more Telerik for listening to a customer.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Antoaneta

First I thought that I would get more then I expect when I saw that you could enable multiple languages for the front-end in the SBE as well.

> It seem only the settings can be set but not used in the front-end

Then I enabled multiple languages for back-end and went to Interfaces Labels and Messages and clicked on Import languages. In 4.2 SE you would get an pulldown select language which you want to import. This is not the case in 4.2 SP1 for SBE. I thought to myself. There we go again. But wait. I could choose the language and import it then. Which worked.

> After receycling the app-pool and a new login I even got the German Interfaces. Wow I thought thats what I need.

So fast to the user click on profile and try to set his prefered language but guess what - thats missing in 4.2 SP1 in SBE so I end up at the same point as before - 1 backend language for all users.

So the questions are:

1) Has the UX changed to import languages in all versions (SBE, SE) Has the dropdown select Langauges been removed and you select the language first by using the change dropdown and then import it. Some how I liked it better the old way and I sure think it should be consistend across Versions SBE, SE

2) Did you miss to enable the prefered language selection in the profile for SBE users. Or how can I finally have the users have different backend languages. Giovanni wants IT, Hans wants DE, Francoise want FR.

3) If I change now the language it seems all I have is German. English has been overwritten with german es well.

Am I simply to dumb for this or is what actually is happening at the moment. Because if this is whats going on I start to become realy realy concerned.

Markus

Hello Markus,

Thank you for contacting Telerik support.
At this point in SBE the different users cannot select preffered language for the backend. Right now we are in the middle of a major internal discussion on what should be included in Sitefinity SBE in terms of languages.
Please, be patient and give us some time to clarify everything.

Thanks for understanding.

Best wishes,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

I used to be very undescided - now an not so sure anymore!

Give me a break

QUTOE Sept 22nd
Thank you for getting back to me. I am really glad to share that the desired functionality will be available with the upcoming SP release.
UNQUOTE

Obviously something changed since the language button was enabled.

I whishe you had answered the questions but I think at the moment  that either

a) If only had known what I did not know when I new someone would wan't to know what I whished I new when acutally nobody new.
b) Simply a sloppy job done

I give up on this issue. This is to frustrating. Sorry

But this is really not what I expected at all. I did simply expect more then this.

Bye for now

Markus

Hello Markus,

I am really sorry to hear that.
In my previous post I wanted to let you know that we still experience some issues for which I am also surprised.

1) Has the UX changed to import languages in all versions (SBE, SE) Has the dropdown select Langauges been removed and you select the language first by using the change dropdown and then import it. Some how I liked it better the old way and I sure think it should be consistend across Versions SBE, SE
Yes, you can import kanguages in every version of Sitefinity. There is no matter which will be done first, it is important just to do both things.

2) Did you miss to enable the prefered language selection in the profile for SBE users. Or how can I finally have the users have different backend languages. Giovanni wants IT, Hans wants DE, Francoise want FR.
This is not supported at the moment.

3) If I change now the language it seems all I have is German. English has been overwritten with german es well.
This is most probably a bug, it works fine on my machine. I have logged it for fixing.

Best wishes,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

This thread is closed