This item inherits permissions from its parent.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 07:15

This item inherits permissions from its parent.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Aug-2011 00:00

I have a site that requires that certain users be able to view certain documents while other users cannot.  I should be able to accomplish this easy using the provided documents & files portion of Sitefinity.  However, anytime I try to change permissions for a document, or library (when logged in as admin), it gives me the 'This item inherits permissions from its parent.' message, but does not give me an option to 'Break Inheritance'.  I was using version 4.1 and hoped that this might be fixed in 4.2, so I upgraded, and not only is this not fixed, there are some other issues with the custom modules I have created that would not allow me to use 4.2 even if it did fix the forced permission inheritance problem.  This site is in production, and my client is quickly growing impatient.  Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Chris,

Thank you for using our services.. We've had questions from people asking about the "break inheritance" button for content items like images, when trying to set granular permissions, but this was more of a license restriction. Are you using your Standard edition license for the project we're currently discussing or another type of license?

Looking forwards to your reply.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2011 00:00

I was using the small business license, but I had to have a solution immediately to this problem, so I tried upgrading and that fixed it.  Also, it made me pay $1749 to upgrade to the standard licence.  That seems like a steep price to pay just to be able to manage permissions for a document library or a specific document.  Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Chris,

I'm glad that the issue you were facing has been resolved. As you correctly observed, the granular permissions functionality is not supported by Small Business license - it supports Page and module level permissions. For further reference, please check our License comparison table.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

This thread is closed