301 errors when editing pages in IE 8

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:10

301 errors when editing pages in IE 8

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2011 00:00

I upgraded a site from 4.1.1395.0 to 1650.

When I whet to pages and clicked on a page nothing happened. Fiddler showed me one 301 errors after the other.

Markus

---------------------

My setup was the following

Copied the 4.1.1395.0 datase to a new database mydatabase_staging
Downloaded all the files form 4.1.1395.0
Upgrade localy with remote DB with sitefinity.exe
went into admin (lic file request)
uploaded all files to staging.mydomain.com

This is somehow my prefered update procedure for the future
1) make backup of production DB
2) create db_staging and import backup
3) download current site
4) copy the download to mysite_4.1.1395.0 as backup
5) copy the site to mysite_staging for performing the backup
6) change the project.xml to show to mysite_staging
7) change the app_data/sitefinity/configuration/dataConfig.config to point to db_staging
8) run sitefinity.exe
9) upgrade
10) go to admin localhost (but with db_staging on real server)
11) run the site (this should upgrade the db_staging on server
12) now I can upload the whole site (incl. App_Data) to staging.mysite.com

Why I do it like this? I don't want to fiddle around with database localy and stuff. If the upgrade works like this I have a backup of the DB and Site (downloaded) and I simply do a the same thing with the live db and site :-)

Don't blame me but at the moment that seems to be the easiest way for me (Rember Gabe having issues with the owner of the db tables and stuff)

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

This is not the officially supported upgrade procedure, but I understand you need to do it this way. I would advise you change few steps in order to check if the problems come from this remote upgrade procedure.
What project manager does is add the new Sitefintiy assemblies(4.2.1650) to your project bin folder.

1.Create a backup of the current production database and project files.
2. Copy the contents of bin folder of a blank Sitefinity 4.2 project
3. Place them in the bin folder of the project have on production(copy and replace)
4. navigate to the backend.

If you still get 301 errors then the upgrade went fine and the issue must be caused from something else.
Edit titles and properties of a page and see if you have additional url`s for this page that are the same as the page url. Removing them should fix the redirect.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Stanislav

Did the whole thing again - Bang same problem. Some pages when trying to edit get an 301 error untill it times out.

I draged one of the pages to another page group and could edit it there.
I draged it back to the orignial place and had a problem again.

I used Action Title & Properties and unticked the allow multiple urls - et voila, it worked.

So somehow the must have been a problem there. You might want to search in that direction.

Kind Regards Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

I had some thoughts about additional urls mentioned you in my previous post about additional urls might be causing the problem. This behavior was introduced with Sitefinity 4.2. Excuse us for the inconvenience.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Stanislav

I just love marketing terms. The behavoir was introduced.

Markus this is a bug - but this is Markus.

Nice that we formaly know each other :-) But I don't want to know every bug on a personal level.

How about inviting less bugs over and don't introduce them to us :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2011 00:00

BTW

I just dragged a page from one level to an other and back. This will automatically add multipler urls to the page (at least I think what id did in my setup).
So once I draged a page a couple of times I could not eddit it anymore before removing the multiple URLs.

If this realy is true this would take away the easy usage of SF for any clients resulting in -> drag a page to another place and you can not edit it anymore unless you go into title and remove the extra URLs.

Please check this urgently and if true this simply has to be fixed in the next SP.

Markus

Hello Markus,

Yes this is a bug. I have logged this. Thank you for reporting this.

Updated your Telerik points.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Here we go again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE&ob=av2e 

Another one finds a bug :-)

Sure hope you fix this in the next SP. Can only imagine what happens if every client who drags a page won't be able to change the page anymore.

Grrrr

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2011 00:00

Will this bug be fixed anytime soon?

Even though the points are nice and a small token of appreciation. What we all need is bug beeing fixed as soon as possible. I don't care about e-commerce module as long as the core does not work properly.

Hope to see this fixed (with many other bugs) in SP1 or 4.3 the latest. But my hopes are not very high at the moment.

But I love to be proven otherwise and who does not love a firm that delievers more then you expect ;-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2011 00:00

Ditto.  I have absolutely no use for the ECommerce module....  let's keep focused on bugs.  We are running into this one all over the place.

This thread is closed