Translation changes backend language on pages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:27

Translation changes backend language on pages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2011 00:00

Is this a bug or a feature.

I have frontend DE, EN, IT (DE as default)
I have backend DE, EN, IT (EN as default, EN in user profile, EN as first browser language)

Now I add a IT translation and the page seem to swicht to italian backend. If this is realy the case that if a backend language is available in a certain language the backand for editing the page would change to this language I think this would be a huge problem.

Let's say I have a arabic language or chinese front-end and only speek english and want simply to change some settings on the page or maybe exchange an images. This would mean the the page buttons would be presented in arabic or chinese which I can tell you would be a bit of a lucky guess for me to remember which button to click :-).

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

I have replied to your ticket about this issue. I also logged a bug in our bugtracking system. This is definitely not a feature.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

In which ticked did you reply?
Are you telling me this bug was not logged?
Is this issue on PITS?
Any chance to see this on a roadmap soon?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

This bug was logged in the PITS -

http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/7750

I hope this will be fixed for 4.3

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

Thanks for PITS (Link gives an error).

The only thing that worries me is that you are hoping. We as customer should be hoping - Terlik should be knowing ;-)

I expect this to be fixed in 4.3 the latest because I speak neither italian nor spanish and adminstrating a site when you have the backend in english but are forced to use spanish and italian on pages is really way below a Telerik or SF standard.

Well if you from Telerik can hope
Then I as a customer can expect!

Hope not to offend

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

Try copy/pasting the link directly in the address bar of the browser - it looks like otherwise it won't open correctly:

www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

I will speak with our team leads to give this issue a priority.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Oct-2011 00:00

@Lubomir
I am holding back on updates. Has this been fixed in 4.2 SP1?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

Unfortunately this hasn't been fixed in the latest service release. I apologize for the inconvenience.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

After 2 months: PITS still shows it open http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/7750 and not scheduled.

Any news on this?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

I'm afraid this issue hasn't been addressed yet. As you are aware you still haven't released the language packs for 4.3, so I suppose we should at least first wait until after these packs are released.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Has fixing the bug anything to do with the language files?

Can we finaly expect this to be solved in 4.4?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

I really hope so. The bug is logged in our bugtracking system and it has quite a high priority as well. It all depends on the other tasks at hand.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

Once again if you are hoping what shall we do?

I think it simply not acceptable for a CMS that has been on the market for 8 month now that it changes the backen languages depending on the frontent language.

I know that you want users to be able to upgrade from 3.7
I know that a staging production move tool is great
I know that e-commerce still has room for improvments

But this is an everyday bug so please take it back to the team and try to get some weight on it so we can see this fixed in 4.4.

Thanks for the consideration and the great work you have done since 4.0 was released.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

If we can't fix the issue for 4.4, we'll definitely include in 4.4SP1, tentatively set for the mid of January.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

Dear Georgi

Came across this post by the question of another user. I have not updated my multilingual backend sites to 4.4 yet - has this been fixed in 4.4?

If not - is it likely that we see the fix in 4.4 SP1 or do we have to wait for 5.0?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

We were not able to fix it, unfortunately. There won't be SP1, but straight to 5.0. We've moved the 5.0 release a little bit earlier in time, therefore we won't have a SP.
The bug has 3 votes, there are some more urgent ones waiting before that. Nevertheless, I hope we will get to it.

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

Dear Georgi

Sorry but its the wrong PITS issue. I am talking about the problem that when you had an italian and english backendlanguage the backendlanguage would switch to italian on italian pages and back to englich on english pages.

I guess I never got to get the PITS link working and therefor did not notice it beeing the wrong issue. Searched PITS for the real problem but could not find it.

Markus
PS: PITS issue really is not that important

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2012 00:00

Are we finaly going to get this in 5.1 where a user can have is backend language independen of the language of the page he is changing.
I sure dont want to have my backend changing the language every time I change a page in a different language.
Just create a sandbox with your quantum template and change a spanish page. I don't speek spanish so the backend switching to spanish is very anoying.
And yes there are only some votes but there are other items with 20 votes that are not done so I don't care about PITS a lot.
What I care about is my customers beeing able to change an image on a multilingual site without having to learn extra languages.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2012 00:00

1 year old issue.

In 5.1 the backend language still changes to the language of the page you are editing.

Imagine a Telerik US marketing person would want to change a image on an bulgarian page of the site. They would have the interface in bulgarian. This can not be expected behavior.

(Ok telerik.com is multilingual and on 3.7 - but with some imagination you understand what I am bitc..... about.

Are there any plans to address this?

Markus

PS: If I would find a PITS then I could vote. If I could vote so could others. If we get many votes we might fit it into the very last item on the 5.2 reoadmap ;:-(

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

Seeing the numerous reassuring replies I gave you in this forum thread while I was support @sitefinity, I can put my hand on my heart and give you a definitive answer - this will NEVER be fixed.

As Metallica say - Sad but true.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

The fact that this is not fixed yet shows that this is not an easy fix, especially when we have to take care about so many different things like backward compatibility issues and future implementations. We'll have to be careful with such fixes especially when features like Multisite management come, where you have multiple languages mapped to different domains. Sometimes it's better to leave something working like it is, rather than do quick and risky fixes, and fix it properly when the time for it comes. 

Guys, let's try to keep the conversations productive. The forum is getting bigger, the community is getting bigger, and plain assumptions like "this will never be fixed" do not help. 

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

This thread is closed