Cannot access a page after upgrading to 4.2 (Specified argum

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:56

Cannot access a page after upgrading to 4.2 (Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: index)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi there,

After Upgrading my website to 4.2 I have been having an issue with my homepage. I can view it in the browser no problem, and even edit the page while browsing the site. But when I try to go into edit the content directly from sitefinity I get the following error:

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: index

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: index

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: index]
   System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) +8750274
   System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.RemoveAt(Int32 index) +31
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ZoneEditor.ProcessMisplacedControls() +913
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ZoneEditor.CreateChildControls() +104
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

I cannot see what is causing the issue. Other pages with the same/similar controls are working properly.

Has anyone seen this before? if so , was you able to resolve it?

Thanks,
Jamie

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Jamie,

This is strange indeed. I suppose something went wrong during the upgrade. One solution is to send us your database and configuration files so we could reproduce the issue locally.

Otherwise you could try deleting and recreating the home page if it is the only page that is causing problems.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Lubomir,

I had this issue several times now. The recreating the page is fixing the issue but this is not good experience for the end user managing the site. Can you please let me know if there are specific sections I can check to fix when having such a problems? As it will not be convenient to send a DB backup each time when pages are bringing "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values".

Thanks,
Armen

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Armen,

Unfortunately I don't see how we can find a solution for this problem if we do not have the database and the configuration files locally, so we could reproduce the environment and see what is wrong. You can check your upgrade log to see if there weren't any errors during the upgrade process. Also check if your modules have the same version in SystemConfig.config - if they don't that means that some of them weren't upgraded properly.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Lubomir,

This is starting to repeat for us, not sure why. May be that is because we are using NLB? Not sure.

Basically deleting and recreating the page is solving the issue but it is starting to happen again on some page. I would delete it and create once again but I have another problem coming after that. Some other pages have links to that page, and I am interested when deleting some page, can I know which pages have link to that page that I delete so that after I can go and try to fix those links.
We have more than 500 pages and it is hard to go over all pages to verify broken links and reason after.

Thanks,
Armen

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Armen,

When you delete a page with additional URLs these additional URLs are deleted as well. So you can recreate the page with the same additional URLs the links to this page should be good. Unfortunately
there is no way to detect broken links, as you can have custom or user controls, whose content we cannot examine.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Lubomir,

Thank you for your answer.

I agree with URLs but it also contains sfref="[pages]fcca4b4a-722a-4daa-a0c5-c081829aefca" parameter. Which I believe will be not valid after that. Can we just ignore that?

Regarding links I was mostly interested within your native content, not the custom controls built by us. Like if we are deleting some page it will be very helpful to know which pages will have broken links.

Thanks,
Armen

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Armen,

Yes, the sfref attributes point to page GUIDs that will be different after you delete and recreate the page. Basically our parser would check the GUID and generate a proper link to the page, if the GUID exists. Otherwise there would be no link.

Unfortunately we do not have an out of the box tool, or even API methods, that would verify the content of News items, Generic contents, etc. for broken links.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed