Localization issues in 4.2.1650

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:16

Localization issues in 4.2.1650

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear team!

I'm trying to find out how to properly work with localization in Sitefinity. This is different from 3.x. The problems I'm facing is about pages and page groups.

I'm using two cultures; SV (Swedish) and EN (English). My default language is SV.

These are the steps I go through in order to add my pages and also re-creating the issues I have.

Create a new standard page at top level using default lang (SV) and name it 'Om företaget' and set my default localized page template. Add content and publish.

Add an EN-version and name it 'About our company' and set my default localized page template.
Add conent and publish.

So far all is good. I can see the correct language in the menu and it changes according to the language selected on the site.

URLS:
SV - www.mysite.com/.../
EN - www.mysite.com/.../

Now I want to add a child page.

In the admin tool I make sure 'svenska' is current working language. I click on 'Actions' for the page node 'Om företaget' and select 'Create a child page'.

I name the new page 'Avdelningar' and set my default localized page template. At this point all is still good to go. The suggested URL just under 'Name' suggest '/om-företaget/avdelningar' and that's fine. I add content and publish.

Now I want to create a localized EN-page of 'Avdelningar'. I click on the little light blue icon that says 'EN' and has an 'Add'-tag under it.

Now the problems starts. My dropdown on the admin page says 'svenska' and I want to create a EN-version. On the new properties page (for the EN-version), the URL suggests '/om-företaget/' which is the swedish page name. I think at this point it should be '/about-our-company/'.
However, if I first change the dropdown to 'English' and then click 'Add' I get the correct URL. It seems that there is some code that takes the name of the parent page before the EN-language property have been set.

Anyway, I select English in the dropdown first and the click on 'Add' On the property page for the EN-version, the URL is already populated with '/about-our-company/avdelningar/' where 'avdelningar' is in black text and '/about-our-company/' is slightly grey. I have not yet entered any name. I name the new page 'Departments' and press Tab-key. The URL does not change. This means that the URL is now in two languages; first part in EN and the second part in SV. I think that this is wrong. I think that the URL should change to the name I type in. The correct URL in this case should be '/about-our-company/departments/'.
I can of course change the URL manually, but I don't think that is something you can ask every publisher do keep track on.

I've tested this in Chrome 13.0.782.220 and IE9 9.0.8112.16421. It's the same behaviour.

One more thing...
When I'm working with page groups, it seems that I can't create a page group as a child page to a parent page that is localized. I get a 'Group or external page cannot be a child of a split page'. Why??? How can I use group page in combination with localization?

I'm really looking forward to any thoughts or workarounds reg this issue since it really bugging me.

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik

PS I do not know if this was working in earlier versions of 4.x since I just started with localization in 4.2

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Fredrik,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support team and reporting this issue. 

I partially succeeded in reproducing the issue that you described. I created a page template in SV and EN. Then I created a page which I named "Om företaget" in SV and "About our company" in EN. These pages are synched and use the page template that I created previously. I created a child page in SV named "Avdelningar". Then no matter if I switch to svenska or English in language dropdown and click "Add" link under EN blue icon or choose "Create a child page" from "Actions", I get the URL containing only SV parent page name - "/om-företaget/".  

So I logged a PITS issue for the URL of EN child page that contains SV parent page name. The ID of the issue is 7863 and you can follow it using this URL:
http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/7863

I also updated you Telerik points.

Kind regards,
Miroslava
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2011 00:00

Miroslava,

Great that you could replicate the issue and that we found a bug. It always feels good to find something, replicate and fix!

Now, I had one more issue:
"One more thing...
When I'm working with page groups, it seems that I can't create a page group as a child page to a parent page that is localized. I get a 'Group or external page cannot be a child of a split page'. Why??? How can I use group page in combination with localization?"

Do you have any information about that? Is this also a bug or is it supposed to work like that?

This issue is also really easy to replicate for me. Create a top level page. localize it to your set languages. Try to add a child page and set it as group page. Whe you try to save/publish you'll get the error.

If you can't replicate it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Fredrik,

The "Group or external page cannot be a child of a split page" feature is by design.

There is a problem when you have a page with 2 language versions that have the same title - the only workaround for now is to have different titles for each language version.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

OK, thanks!

Then I have a workaround at least. Is this going to be fixed?

Thanks,
Fredrik

Hello Fredrik,

This issue is logged in our internal bugtracking system but apparently it didn't make the SP1 release. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next service release.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed