bug: Localized navigation redirect items not showing [4.2.16

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:33

bug: Localized navigation redirect items not showing [4.2.1650]

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Sep-2011 00:00

I'm working on a site with 2 front end languages, english as primary and german as secondary. On the 'header navigation' I've set it to show from a certain rootnode.

When I create a localized page (DE language) under that root, it shows up when the proper language is selected.

However if I create a redirect page it doesn't show up. Only when I've created the 'primary language' redirect page it will show up on the navigation...

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Jochem,

We were not able to reproduce the problem. Would you describe in more details your scenario. What kind of pages are you creating - sync or split?

Best wishes,
Ivan Pelovski
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hey Ivan, 

Sure... I apologize for the compact screenshots but I wanted to keep client page info out of it.
On the top you see the FrontEnd EN menu, underneath the FrontEnd DE version and lastly you see the BackEnd page overview in English.

Create a grouppage (as a startingnode for a menu). Underneath I created a few pages:
Blog (page, 2 languages synced) and it shows in the 2 website versions.
Forum (page, 1 language EN) and it shows on the EN-website version.
Preisse (page, 1 language DE) and it shows on the DE-website version.

Same goes for the RedirectEN and RedirectDE pages, they're both redirects, 1 language version is created and they work perfect.

However the 'Redirect_to_both_EN_DE' doesn't work. You create 1 language (EN) and set the redirect page, then you create the (DE) version and set the redirect. (Since it's redirect, there's no asking about syncing or not)

Because I created the (DE) version last, this version shows up on the website. If I open and save the (EN) version again, the (EN) version gets stored last and that will be the one showing up on the website.

Somehow there can't be 2 localized versions of a redirect page simultaneous.

---
Also I noticed, when viewing the Backend PageOverview in English(toolbar top right says English) and I click on Add for a German localized version, it'll automatically put it under the english node and can't change that back. I specifically have to select German language first before being able to add a German redirect...

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Jochem,
      From what i understand this is a redirect page limitation. There is no way to have redirect page that can redirect to different page based on the language. The only way to achieve this is to select a sync page for redirect page destination. This means when you redirect to the sync page it will apply the correct language.

Kind regards,
Teodor
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

Hey Teodor,

Ok, cool... a limitation is a limitation.

A redirect menu item will never show up in 2 languages, no matter where you redirect to...

So your way wouldn't work also because you can't have redirects in more than 1 language, doesn't matter if it's synced or not, the menu item will only show in the one language you saved last.

Only alternative/workaround I can see is instead of creating a redirect page is creating an actual page and drop a redirect widget on it pointing to wherever you intended to go originally.

J.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Jochem,

As Teodor said if a redirecting page points to a synced page (This means that all created language versions of the page will have the same layout and widget configurations. Any changes to any of the translations will apply to all other translations.) then it will work for all language versions.

For split pages (every language version of one page has its own layout and widgets) a redirecting page will not work for more than one language version. A redirecting page will not work also if it points to one page in one language version and to another page in the other language version. A possible workaround for this is to use multiple redirecting pages as you have suggested. Another workaround is to create a redirecting page to web addresses and to type the URLs of the pages it will redirect to.

Best wishes,
Ivan Pelovski
the Telerik team

This thread is closed