Memory License issue

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 10:39

Memory License issue

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello

First my Site spiked to 1,8 GB RAM usage and was of course not responing anymore (image 1)

Went back to normal after a while but then was asked for licences file again on front-end (is on testserver) (image 2)

When trying to add any sitefinity license file got error (image 3). I did report the typo a while back. Hope this is fixed in the next update along with other stuff missing in German translations.

After recycling app_pool everything did run again. Frontend, no need to add license again bla bla bla.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

We have seen this issue a number of times when the site is under stress.  Please fix Telerik?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

What kind of controls and widgets do you use on your pages? We have received reports for problems with the Navigation control and the Lists module (especially if the IIS and SQL server are on the same machine). We are currently investigating the cause of these drastic memory spikes. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

I think we were using download list table in two language setup maybe with synced pages. But that's a wilde guess.

Of course we have a RadPanel bar navigation linked to SFsiteMap

Hope this helps. Because that kind of usage really brings down my server :-)

Happy searching.

Markus

Hi Markus Berchtold,

There were reports about high memory usage when a template based on a .master page is used. Maybe if you provide us with a link to your backend with credentials we could try and see if there is used something out of the normal setup. Basically we optimized 4.2 quite a lot and SP1 is due in the beginning of the next week with more fixes and optimizations.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Yes I do use .master pages - but somehow that should not be out of the ordenary :-)

Don't feel like debugging this at the moment.

Markus

Lubomir,

I am willing to provide a zipped copy of our development site and database for you to test with.  It is multilingual, extremely content-heavy (30,000 + links) and regularly shows the performance problems that Markus is describing below.

All we have to do is run a link-checking crawler against it to get into the 1GB of memory usage.

Please advise if you want a copy, and how I can get it to you.

@Telerik

My Site is multilingual as well.

Markus

@Telerik

My Site is multilingual as well.

Markus

Hello Markus Berchtold,

Well, it looks like the number of installed languages increases the memory footprint, probably exponentially. I suppose your sites have 4-5 languages installed? I don't think we need the project for now, we are aware of these performance issues and we have scheduled some optimizations - like for example reduce significantly the number of database querys from the Lists widget.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Dear Lubomir

Are you talking about installed backend-languages or are you talking about different front-end languages?

Our site has 5 languages front end and 4 back-end.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

I was talking about front-end languages but backend languages also surely increase the memory footprint.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2011 00:00

Any hope this will be fixed in SP1 this week?

Or were you not able to reproduce and hope it will go away or is just my setup?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

We released SP1 yesterday. I see the following optimizations made it to the SP:

Performance: Optimized the number of database queries performed by the List Widget
Search: Indexing speed performance optimizations and exposing internal methods for extensibility

I guess that should reduce the memory footprint somehow.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

If you guess that this should remove the memory footprint somehow, then I guess I wait to see if this happens again :-)

Waiting one week before applying the SP. Will see then if the spikes still happen. Thank's for working on it.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

Sorry to say but all the guessing did not help. Just had onter spike on a 4.2 SP1 version.

Single language frontend (DE), multiple language backend (DE/EN/FR/IT) I think I edited a master template.

Will see if I can reproduce it.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

I am glad to say that I was able to reproduce it many times. Usually thats a good thing even if you don't like it.

I have one master.master page done outside SF and have Templates based on this page. I opened the master.master once and got the spike. After that only when I opened a template based on this master I got the spike. And it seed only on the some page (maybe those with more pages)

I will open a ticket for this issue.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

Apparently there is some serious memory problem when working with .master pages. It is a very good thing that you were able to reproduce the steps that cause the spike. We will investigate what might be the cause of the problem. Thank you for your involvement,

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

Thank's for the feedback. I did open a ticket about it. So I am good for now. Unfortunately or fortunately I was not able to reproduce the spike today.

So I don't know if the problem is gone, or is only happening right after updates have been done.

Looking forward to hearing more on this issue.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

Apparently there is some serious memory problem when working with .master pages. It is a very good thing that you were able to reproduce the steps that cause the spike. We will investigate what might be the cause of the problem. Thank you for your involvement,

UNQOTE

Has this been fixed in 4.3?????

I am still not able to update to 4.3 because of the missing language files but want to know if this issue has been addressed, identified and fixed!

It's so embarresing when you are working on a site for a bank and must get mails with errors because of that.

----------------

HRC can you provide feedback?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2011 00:00

With very *little* pushing we're able to get over 1GB (!) of memory usage on 4.2.  We have not yet upgraded to either 4.2 SP 1 OR 4.3 due to our code lockdown before launch.  We shall see in the next few months...

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Chris and Markus,

As you can see from the announcement -

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/release-notes/details/sitefinity-4-3.aspx

we have done quite a lot of optimizations in the latest version. Also we stress tested with about 1200 pages to see how fast the response time will be and how much memory load there would be. Before and after the stress test the memory footprint was stable and constant around 550 MB. This leads us to believe that the memory leak might happen from some of your custom code. Anyway, we strongly recommend to upgrade to 4.3.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Dear Lubomir

a) I would strongly update to 4.3 if the language pack would finaly be released!!!!!
b) I now have usually around 180 - 220 MB Ram usage in 4.2 I sure hope in 4.3 the 550 you mention are not a step back but only because of your heavy testing.
c) Custom code :-) Are you talking about having a multi lingual page with masterpages and templates based on than. If htis is your idea of a custom code site? I have not one line of programming done. All I have is my own .master page
d) From your answer (it must be your code) I assume you have not found the issue but made a lot improvement anyhow. So I hope for the best with 4.3 and future releases.

Markus

Yikes.  Lubomir, please don't go down the "it must be your code" route.  I have offered our setup to Telerik on numerous occasions in order to further diagnose what's going on - but nobody has taken me up on that offer.

It's fine to stress test with 1200 pages, but in my case I have an enormous site with 4 different languages.    Can you verify that you've got a "real world" example that you're stress testing?  I mean, really, LOAD IT UP with data.  That means content, that means tags, categories, templates, news, events, you name it.

To echo Markus's comments - I will eventually get to 4.3, but nobody in their right mind just upgrades a site of this scale without extensive testing before, during, and after the upgrade - which I cannot undertake at the present time.

So that you get some sense of what we've been through - we started at 4.0 when development began - so you can hopefully appreciate how gun-shy we are about introducing another change into the process.

Chris.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

We tested with 1200+ pages where in all pages there is a navigation control and some widgets, like News or Events, with quite a lot items in them - 60-70. There are also content blocks, images, videos, all stock widget controls. The memory load stayed constant. We also had around 1000 users and each user was in 3 different roles. I believe this is quite a good stress test, all with stock controls and widgets.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2011 00:00

Dear Lubomir

Sure sound a lot of stress in that stress test :-)

I think the issues we are having is more related to backend mulitlingual stuff. So while some stress test are conducted it would be nice to see what happens if you update templates that are in different languages available with another backend language set then english.

This is where I think the  problems arise.

Also I would be interested if you have some SBE secenario test, were you have only 1 editor acutally editing stuff and maybe 30 people online simulated. => how is the memory footprint then?

I sure know that it is impossible to test every scenario and that you are dooing a great job checking as many ways you can. So the only thing I could ask is the test of multiple backend languages (as soon as the 4.3 packs are available) have some stress on the frontend and then change some of the multilinugual templates.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

So the only thing I could ask is the test of multiple backend languages (as soon as the 4.3 packs are available) have some stress on the frontend and then change some of the multilinugual templates. 

Sounds very reasonable. We are doing it, but indeed we'll increase the load and the number of backend users browsing/changing templates at the same time.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

This thread is closed