Changing From Content Page to Group Removes From Navigation

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:10

Changing From Content Page to Group Removes From Navigation

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

We experienced a strange problem with our live deployment today.

We have a top level content page "Invest" with 2 sub pages. The client logged into the administration section today and checked the box labelled "Use this page only to group other pages". As soon as they saved their changes, "Invest" disappeared from the navigation.

I've been able to recreate this problem on our development server. All pages are still accessible, they just seem to get skipped when the navigation control is databound. Whenever we set a page as a group, it disappears from the navigation. Whether the page actually has content or sub pages doesn't seem to make a difference. Even checking the "This page redirects to another page" has the same affect.

I've had a look at the database to see if there is anything obvious going on, but no luck. Have you experienced this type of bug before? What sort of information can I provide to help in troubleshooting?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Raymond Dowe,

I have replied to the support thread you have submitted on the issue earlier, but it looks like I've missed this thread. The strange thing is that even group pages with content pages under them display that problematic behavior, as by default only an empty (group page with no content subpage) group page will not be displayed in the navigation. Of course, the Show In Navigation property is also an important setting, however, I believe you have that one configured properly. One last thing to check would be the permissions set applied to that group page, I'd kindly ask you to check whether the page is included in the navigation when you're viewing it as an admin user.
Can you please try setting up a new group page and a new content page as its child, and check whether they'll appear in your navigation? Also, does this issue reproduce with one of the built-in navigation widgets placed on a new page? Looking forwards to your reply.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2011 00:00

@Raymond

Are the two pages under the Group page. Regular pages or maybe redirect pages?
Are you in a single or multiple language setup.

I had an issue where redirect pages would only show up in the navigation if all languages are set.

sorry for the wilde guess which probably wont help much.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2011 00:00

Thank you both for your replies. We have managed to resolve the issue.

It seems that a group page set to show in navigation will only actually show in the navigation if at least one of it's children pages is also set to show in navigation. All of the child pages for the group were hidden, so the group became hidden regardless of it's setting. As of now I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

If it's of interest to anyone, the deployment was using only a single language, English.

This thread is closed