Adding a Document link in News Module

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:22

Adding a Document link in News Module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi,

In Sitefinity 4 News module I would like to attach a link to a existing document uploaded through Document & Files module, how can I go about that?

Please reply urgently.

Thanks,

There should be a button on top of your news item content editor that will open the document selector dialog to pick the document.

...the downside is it'll need to be styled, like it inserts a link to the doc, it's not the widget look.

Steve,

Yes I have used that but its not good to expect the client to do every time he adds a new document, I need a custom field that he can use to attach.

I am in TOTAL agreement with you on that...adding docs through the editor isn't all that "standard" compared to adding a widget document.

Adding it as a custom field also helps to maintain consistency as you will ALWAYS know where the doc will be in the final markup.

There is a blog post somewhere here that outlines how to make an image selector control...that might be a good place to start perhaps (sorry, don't have time to search for it!)

In the short term if it's an emergency could you get away with a simple custom text field and they paste in the embed url from the documents area?...again....not optimal...

Steve

Found it!

**EDIT** @Telerik the problem with this demo is the URL is "hardcoded" so if the image\doc moves, you have a broken link...perhaps update that doc to have it stored by GUID?

A text link in a custom field is the last resort,

I have seen that article today but it is complicated to modify it to use Document and Files module I tried, I am new to Sitefinity 4 but have a lot of experience with Sitefinity 3.x so modifying is not a nobrainer to me yet, perhaps you can show me some example and I can take it from there?

Though thanks for trying to help me out here,

This thread is closed