Unable to Publish Anything after Upgrade to 4.2 SP1 1733

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:28

Unable to Publish Anything after Upgrade to 4.2 SP1 1733

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Oct-2011 00:00

After upgrading to the new SP1 1733 build, we are no longer able to Publish anything. We can create pages and content, as well as save them as drafts, however whenever we click "Publish", it sits for an exceptionally long time appearing to do nothing then produces the error:

"The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:01:00. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout." (see attachment image)

I have checked both the IIS and SQL servers in play here and they are at minimal resource usage (this is our dev server and nothing else is using it). The disk, memory and CPU resources are near 0 usage. Again, all other database operations associated with creating and editing things in SiteFinity work fine and are very responsive - only the Publish function is producing this problem. Increasing the values as suggested in the error message does not seem to be a resolution to me.

Anyone else experiencing this or know how I can resolve it? It has us pretty much dead in the water.

Thanks,
Craig

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Craig,

We also had this problem.  It would take around a minute and then just bomb out.

May I know how your servers are set up and the DNS's too?

We originally had it really weird where our internal DNS would go out of the firewall and back in and we had an entry in our HOSTfile for 127.0.0.0.  Anyway, we straightened these things out by simplifying it and removing the unecessary HOST file entry.  We also added the http addresses in to the following areas as a precaution (try without first):

Settings > System > ServicePaths > enter in your site address e.g. http://my.domain.org
Settings > System >Site URL Settings > tick ReplaceSiteUrl and enter in your site address e.g. http://my.domain.org

So, yes, check your DNS, host file, IIS HTTP binding etc...

Hope you are able to figure it out!

Thanks for the reply. I checked the DNS and everything is correct. It also does not go out and come back in. I then added your additions to the SF System config pages and wasn't able to get that to resolve it either.

What puzzles me is that it works fine when creating things and saving drafts, just not publishing... I also have 2 other sites running on the same server with the same version of SF and have no problem with those whatsoever.

Update... It appears it publishes the pages at some point before it times out in that I can cancel out of the error and navigate back to the "pages" page. It then appears as "published" in the list of pages. 

I've blown away the IIS instance for the site (IIS7) and recreated it, along with the app pool and this does not resolve the issue either.

I've also tried publishing a page from the admin area while logged into the server itself without success. I added a static entry in the server's host file and tried publishing a page, without success, while logged into the server as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? Telerik??

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Oct-2011 00:00

I think you may need to raise a support call!

One last thing to try however.

Turn off Search indexing inside Sitefinity CMS - if that is the issue, try deleting and re-creating the indexes.

Regards.
R

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Craig,

Can you provide more detailed information like log file of the error to see what is causing the timeout or service trace.
Also reviewing the screenshot you provided the page name is sfsandbox. Is the site you get the problem used to be hosted on Sitefinity sandbox servers?

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks, Richard. I'll try that and let you know.

Stanislav,

I will try and get you what you requested. To answer your question, no, the site sfsandbox.sva.com was a clean install of 4.0 on our local server after we purchased licenses for our 4 Sitefinity-based websites. As updates have come out, I've upgraded the instances. I don't have problems with the other 3, just this one.

Craig

Richard - Thanks so much! That did the trick!! Strange... I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestions with me. Cheers and have a great day!

Craig

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2011 00:00

I am glad you have resolved it!

Good luck,

R

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2011 00:00

Just so you's know.....

We had a site that had the exact same problem. No pages would publish.

This answered saved me too. Removed the search index and pages can now be published.

Any explainations?

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi,

I encounter this problem too. It was resolved by Richard's given tip.
But It could be a real problem. It occurs now but if I re create an index it may be repeat later.

Regards,
Nicolas

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Nicolas,

I suppose if you remove the search folder in App_Data/Sitefinity/ when you encounter the problem I think the issue will be gone and then add it again you will not encounter this. I am unable to reproduce the problem. Can you test if by adding new search index that will index static html to check if the problem will reappear?

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I would love to provide actual data to Telerik if and when this problem arises again just so you guys can troubleshoot this.

Ok,

I'll create a ticket now Telerik. As soon as they setup the search on their site they can not publish any pages.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2011 00:00

I would like to report the same problem with some extra items.  Same deleting indexes allows
to publish page but with issues.  Seems that I can't display hierarchial or grouped pages at front
end any more.  Existing ones previously set up (before upgrade) are ok but now can't get new
pages working with default menu Navigator (with Tabs),  even though hierarchy looks ok in
Sitefinity-Pages/Admin Screen.  Existing pre-upgrade hierarchial pages are still working which is
strange. Setting up a page as grouped/top level makes it disappear off top level pages.
---further update for anyone having the hierarchy page problem - added a blank page with any
widget and then grouping and hierarchy naviagation works.   Will continue testing and update
post.
Brian M

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Dec-2011 00:00

I updated on site form 1650 to 1885 and have the same problem that I can no longer publish pages.
(I have a ticket open)
When I publish after about 1 min I get a error message. Going back to pages shows that the pages is published.

Once I receive an answer from Telerik and can solve it I will report it here as well.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

I've just been hit by this error (but we could publish stuff before it occurred). Error dialog box screenshots attached.
I'm on Sitefinity 4.3, with no search index.

Any ideas?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

@Brian are the missing pages been converted from normal pages to group pages? There is a bug that might be related to what you are experiencing.

@Thomas Can you delete the search index and make sure it is gone from App_Data/Sitefinity/Search folder and test if you are getting the timeout again?

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

I don't have any search index, as I said. I double checked the App_Data/Sitefinity folder, it doesn't contain a Search folder.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2012 00:00

Hey Thomas,
You've probably already solved this but we just ran into the same problem and didn't have any search indexes either. In order to get rid of the problem we just created a search index and then deleted it. Strange that it worked, but it did. Thanks Richard for finding a workaround because I was at a loss.

Telerik, it happened for us when we went to add the first page of a Filipino translation. I have no idea if that is what caused it but when we went to hit publish the error occured.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2012 00:00

Just FYI...I ran into this problem with not being able to publish pages after upgrading to 4.4.  To resolve things, I 're-indexed' my site index and all returned to normal.  

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2012 00:00

Just FYI...I ran into this problem with not being able to publish pages after upgrading to 4.4.  To resolve things, I 're-indexed' my site index and all returned to normal.  

This thread is closed