After 4.2 SP1 upgrade website forbidden

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 08:50

After 4.2 SP1 upgrade website forbidden

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello all!

I upgraded my website from 4.2 to 4.2 SP1 on the following way:

1.    With the projectmanager I upgraded the website
2.    Because I got loaderexceptions I removed all the dll's from the bin map (also all references from my project) and re-added the "Empty Project" dll's and re-referenced these in my project.

The website is running, but my website seems to be forbidden for some reason. On all pages I get the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This type of page is not served.
Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it has been explicitly forbidden. Please review the URL below and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /home

2nd problem, I also cannot log in via the sitefinity login page, I get the error "Incorrect Username/Password Combination".

Another weird thing (I think) is that certain sitefinity configuration files (App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration) still have references to the old 4.2.1650.0 version, for example the SystemConfig.config, see the lowest 3 lines:
<applicationModules>
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="News" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Blogs" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Events" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Libraries" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Forms" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Lists" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Analytics" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Publishing" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Scheduling" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Newsletters" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="GenericContent" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="ControlTemplates" />
    <add version="4.2.1733.0" name="Migration" />
    <add version="4.2.1650.0" name="Catalog" />
    <add version="4.2.1650.0" name="Orders" />
    <add version="4.2.1650.0" name="Shipping" />
</applicationModules>

Also the CatalogConfig.* files all still have references to 4.2.1650.0 version.

What seems to be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Peter

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Peter,

What kind of errors did you receive when you upgraded your project using the project manager? There should be a log file in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs/UpgradeTrace.log. Also, what "loaderexceptions" did you receive after you upgraded with the project manager? The upgrade clearly failed at some point since the eCommerce modules weren't upgraded properly.

You could eventually send us you non-upgraded project so we could try upgrade it here and see what are the problems.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hello Lubomir,

First, excuse me for editting this post again, but I made a litte bit of progress (no loaderexceptions after upgrade).

I just tried to upgrade my 4.2.1650 version (backup ;)) with the project manager. This is the result:

1. First I removed the tempDirectory rule from "<compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0" tempDirectory="F:\cache\">" (tip from Finding the turbo switch with Sitefinity development). Then I removed the following rule from the systemconfig.config (a quickfix from your site):

<add title="PublishingSystemFixes" type="PublishingModuleFixes.PublishingSystemExtensionsModule, PublishingModuleFixes" startupType="OnApplicationStart" version="1.0.0.0" name="PublishingSystemFixes" />

2. Upgrade the website with the project manager
3. Run the website (no loaderexceptions errors), try to login in sitefinity, but username/password incorrect. Also all pages are still forbidden.
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This type of page is not served.
Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it has been explicitly forbidden.  The extension '.aspx' may be incorrect.   Please review the URL below and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /default.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.468

The content of my UpgradeTrace.log
----------------------------------------
Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:32

Message: PASSED : Fix dynamic links for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.ControlProperty.MultilingualValue' in 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Data.OpenAccessPageProvider'

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:33

Message: PASSED : OpenAccessPageProvider : Upgrad AllowParameterValidation

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:35

Message: PASSED : SiteInitializer: Upgrade to 1700 (method: UpgradeTaxonomyUIDefaultPermissions)

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:35

Message: PASSED : SiteInitializer: Upgrade to 1700 (method: UpgradeTaxonomyUIToUseDefinitions)

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:36

Message: PASSED : SiteInitializer: Upgrade to 1700 (method: UpgradeTo1700_FixPublishingPoinItemsContentDynamicLinks)

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:48

Message: PASSED : Fix dynamic links for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model.NewsItem.Content' in 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.News.Data.OpenAccessNewsProvider'

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:51

Message: PASSED : Fix dynamic links for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Blogs.Model.BlogPost.Content' in 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Blogs.Data.OpenAccessBlogProvider'

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:46:53

Message: PASSED : Fix dynamic links for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Events.Model.Event.Content' in 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Events.Data.OpenAccessEventProvider'

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:47:01

Message: PASSED : Fix dynamic links for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Lists.Model.ListItem.Content' in 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Lists.Data.OpenAccessListsDataProvider'

Timestamp: 20-10-2011 10:47:06

Message: PASSED : Fix dynamic links for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.GenericContent.Model.ContentItem.Content' in 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.GenericContent.Data.OpenAccessContentProvider'

The configfiles still have references to the old version as in my first post.

Maybe you can do something with the above information?

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Lubomir,

Reason that the lowest 3 options were not updated was a licence issue. This is fixed.
The website is still forbidden and the backend is not reachable though.

Regards,
Peter

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi,

Well, I 've got the 4.2 SP1 version working now :). When I do not use your project manager, but copy and replace the
EmptyProject dll's into my project and then run my website, it works. How is that possible?

Best regards,
Peter

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Peter,

I'm not quite sure. When you load a project from your project manager you use the internal Casini server to serve the pages. When you copy the files from the _EmptyProject folder, do you create an application in IIS? That might be a difference, but I'm not sure about that.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Lubomir,

I'm using the ASP.NET Development server from Visual Studio. I copied/replaced the dll's and run the website from visual studio.

Best regards,
Peter

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Peter,

I'm sorry to hear baout the problems you've had upgrading your project. When you upgrade it through the project manager (which is the officially recommended practice) what it does is upgrade the assemblies in the bin folder with the ones from the new version. The actual upgrade happens when you start the application afterwards - the database upgrades itself, and the application modules will also be initialized with the new version. In that line of reasoning, unless there have been some problems while upgrading that particular module
all modules in SystemConfig.config should point to the new Sitefinity version. The upgrade process (through the project manager) also creates an upgrade log file, located in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs, can you please check if there have been any exceptions recorded?
As per the forbidden pages issue, can you please let us know whether the problem occurs only when browsing the frontend, or is also valid when logged in as Sitefinity user/ administrator in the backend. This behavior might be due to improperly upgraded database/configuration files, which has resulted in mismatch between the default role IDs and the permissions for your content/pages. Can you please check if the role IDs in your upgraded SecurityConfig.config match the ones from the pre-upgrade project SecurityConfig.config and the ones for column principal_id in the sf_permissions table in the database.

Best wishes,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Boyan,

thank you for your reaction. As mentioned before, my update succeeded when I manually replaced the emptyproject dll's into my own project.

The only problem when I updated through the project manager (all modules were indeed updated, that was my mistake) were the forbidden pages on the frontend (only) and no access when I logged in at the backend (invalid username / password).

I can't see any related errors in my logfiles. The role IDs in my upgraded SecurityConfig.config are identical with the pre-upgrade config. What can I check in the sf_permissions table? The principal_id's are the same as the config files, but when I check for example the owner principal_id (with the latest last_modified date) before and after the update, there are 15 records before and 9 records after. So maybe this is something?

In my opinion it certainly is something like an invalid or unfinished database upgrade, so it could indeed be your sf_permissions table suggestion.

Best regards,
Peter

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Peter,

I'm sorry to hear that the problems persist, indeed that's a very strange issue. Would it be possible for you to provide us with your Sitefinity 4.2 Project files and database backup, so we can upgrade them locally and inspect the problematic behavior ourselves? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed