List Item Content & Description Not Saving

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:36

List Item Content & Description Not Saving

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello all,

I'm not sure what I have done wrong but I was creating some list items in our project.  The first list item I created was fine, title, content & categories saved with no problem.  Then I went to the custom fields area & enabled the Description property as our design calls for a field like this.  Then I edited the public list template to display the contents of the description field.  After that I started to edit / create more list items & noticed that any text I put into the description box isn't saving.  Then I tried updating the content field in some of my list items & they are not updating when I save the list item either.  However, title & categories still save & if I preview the list item before saving, the content box changes & description box copy is there.

Would anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks for any help!

Brian

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Brian,

Thank you for using our services. I would kindly ask you to share with us if there had been any particular changes you have performed in the Lists configuration and whether the issue started appearing after that, as we would like to inspect this behavior in case it hides some potential fro unexpected behavior occurring. We used to have a client reporting similar behavior, and the issue turned out to be a problem with the custom configurations  done for Lists (or simply opened them for editing) and is related to LString default fields (Content, Summary). Can you please try removing all the ListsConfig related files  and restart your application - you should be able to properly enter any new list items, as the default configurations will be loaded automatically on application start.  Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation, and looking forwards to your reply.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Boyan,

Thanks for the reply.  The only custom file I created was a new widget template for display lists on the public page.  I didn't change anything in the administration settings if that is what you are asking.

What "ListConfig" related files are you talking about?

Thanks again,

Brian

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2011 00:00

Is there anyone that can provide some assistance with this?

Hey Brian,
  I think he means that you see in your ~\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration directory

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I deleted all of the ListsConfig.* files & now I can edit the Content area.  

Now, I went to the Custom fields section & edited the Description field & under the appearance tab, I selected "All screens" then saved my changes.  When I go to edit a list item, I can see the description field but anything I place in that field isn't saved?  I even went under the limitations tab & the default is min 0 & max is blank.  I changed max to 100 but that didn't change anything behavior.

Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Brian

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2011 00:00

Boyan or Telerik,

Could you provide some insight as to why this may be happening?

Thanks,

Brian

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Brian,

Thank you for getting back to us. We have managed to reproduce the problematic behavior and have logged it as a bug in our system. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused, we'll be working on providing a fix for the upcoming releases. In the menatime, as a workaround I'd recommend you to add your custom field that will store the Description data (e.g. ListDescription) and hide the default Description field. You will be able to use your new custom field in the same ammner as witht he default one, you can represent the stored data by including:

<sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("ListDescription")%>' />
in your template. Once again thank you very much for the patience and kind cooperation in letting us know of this bug. Your Telerik points have been updated accordingly.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed