Multiple Issues with Multiple Membership Providers

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:58

Multiple Issues with Multiple Membership Providers

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2011 00:00

I am working on a proof of concept to see if Sitefinity will work for a client.  In particular, I am trying to show that there is a way to handle multiple categories of members.  I currently have 3 Membership Providers:

1.    The default membership provider.
2.    A new member provider that uses Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Data.OpenAccessMembershipProvider and has applicationName = "Backend/".  This is called AgentMember.  Iset this up using Advanced Settings.  The purpose of this is to show a segregated category of members with different profiles than the default membership provider. I also added a custom profile that was applied only to this membership provider.
3. The LDAP provider.  This was setup through Advanced Settings.

Here are the issues that I have run into:

1. Users created under the default membership provider and under the AgentMember provider are both shown under both categories in the Users page.  The users are listed twice when the "All Providers" filter is chosen.
2. The custom profile appears for both LDAP members and AgentMembers when a user is edited.
3. When an AgentMember edits their profile the custom profile does not appear.
4. I cannot login as an LDAP user.  I always get invalid username password combination.  Is Sitefinity supposed to automatically login the user if they are logged into the domain or does the user have to explicitly login to Sitefinity?
5. When I edit an LDAP user account I cannot save the changes.  No error is displayed, but nothing happens.
6. When I open an LDAP user account for editing, all the information is missing.  The first name, last name and mailing address that appear in the listing on the Users page come up empty.  The first time I do this the roles that I have set previously on the Users page are also missing.
7. When I open an LDAP user account for editing, the reset password option is available if the user has no email address, but is not available if they have an email address.  Is this not backwards?

I have investigated this a bit and I found:
1. The sf_manager_info table did not have any entries for AgentMember.  And sf_users gave the same manager_info guid to all its rows.
2. I added three records into sf_manager_info table matching the records for "Default" except with new Guids and Timestamps for Agent Member.  After this the sf_users table had the right value for manager_info.

Any thoughts? 

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello David,

I believe it would be best if you gave us credentials to access your backend with Administrative privileges so we could investigate the problem for ourselves. Also for item #5 - When I edit an LDAP user account I cannot save the changes.  No error is displayed, but nothing happens. - our LDAP membership provider wrapper does not allow modifying the data for the users in this provider.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Nov-2011 00:00

Lubomir,

Thank-you for the offer of help.  Anton Hristov in Sales Engineering has been assisting us.  Our in-house System Administrator has been able to get the Login through LDAP working.  Once I test more and figure out what has changed I will post the fixes for those who may have similar problems.  Thanks again Anton and Lubomir.

David

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi David,

I'm glad that you solved your problems. We will be very thankful if you post the solutions for them on the forum. Thank you again.

Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

I would really like to see this solution.
I have a different issue that I would like resolved. 
I have 2 projects that need to use the same membership User information for logins, profile, but have different roles per application.  I keep seeing the user/Role combination, but not the split.

How do I do this?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Andrew Chandler,

I believe in your case you would need to register the same ASP.NET membership provider in both applications, while you would register different role providers in each of them. The role provider carries the information about the roles and the roles assigned to users. The membership provider only carries the information about the users. So the user/role combinations are in the role provider.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed