"Access to the path '...ToolboxesConfig.config'

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:48

"Access to the path '...ToolboxesConfig.config' is denied", after migrating to sitefinity 4.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2011 00:00

I have updated our site from Sitefinity 4.0 to 4.3 and now I am receiving the following exception when I try to open the site:

Server Error in '/Some' Application.

Access to the path '(...)\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\ToolboxesConfig.config' is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '(...)\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\ToolboxesConfig.config' is denied. 

Stack Trace: 

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '... \App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\ToolboxesConfig.config' is denied.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.SaveXmlToFile(XmlDocument xml, String filePath) +254
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.SaveElement(ConfigElement config, Func`2 getXmlElement) +319
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.SaveSection(ConfigSection section) +213
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigManager.SaveSection(ConfigSection section) +38
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.InstallContext.SaveChanges(Boolean clean) +231
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Ecommerce.Catalog.CatalogModule.Initialize(ModuleSettings settings) +438
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.InitializeModule(ModuleSettings settings, InstallContext installContext, Boolean start) +573
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.Initialize() +1231
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) +293
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +386
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +114
   System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +546
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +325
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +407
   System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +375

[HttpException (0x80004005): Access to the path '. . . . \App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\ToolboxesConfig.config' is denied.]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11529072
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +141
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4784373
----------
As a developer, I use a source code control solution (TFS). When I check out the Toolboxes.config, I can browse and use the site normally.
But if I don't, Sitefinity won't start, because the config file is read-only.

As a workaround, we removed the e-commerce module from SystemConfig.config. Unfortunatelly, that broke the Backend page administration. To fix that, we removed all the e-commerce pages from the backend BEFORE removing the module.
It was painfull and a waste of time. Is there any other solution available? We may want to use the e-commerce module in the future...

Thanks in advance
Gerardo.-

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Gerardo,

We have answered you in the support ticket you opened. Can we keep our communication at one place so the information flow is better structured.

Best wishes,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

I think that you don't like to talk about SF 4.3 bugs. I have same problems like Gerardo as you can see at my attachment and need a solution asap.

Regards Robert

Hi,

The error says that ASP.NET worker process does not have read/write permissions over App_Data and configuration files. Please grant the asp.net user account (or network service) with read/write permissions. You can do this from windows explorer if you have direct access to the server.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I got the same problem. In order to fix it, you just need to make sure that all your.config files are NOT readonly and application user has read/write permissions to \Sitefinity\Configuration folder.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

Take a look at your source code management.  If you're using for example TFS, you have to have the file checked out.  Not sure why, as the file contents doesn't change.  

It's a bit annoying to have to have random files checked out manually while developing, but that's life.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2016 00:00

and it still happens in v. 9!  but they won't post the fixes publically for us to find.

Even if you give Network_Service full control, propagate to all children

and make all files in the project folder writeable.

You'll still get Access to the path 'D:\...\...\..._2016_dev\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\SearchConfig.config' is denied.

I'm stuck on the initial deploy of a new project

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2016 00:00

The only way to get an SF running on a windows server is to also add to the Project folder security and all children:

EVERYONE and ISUR and grant them FULL control. 

With such a non-secure requirement, no wonder they don't publish it publicly.  Hope this helps the next person.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2016 00:00

Instead of giving full control permission for EVERYONE, it is better and safer to give FULL control permission only for user IIS AppPool\<yourpoolname> only for your website folder

This thread is closed