4.3 SBE Backend languages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:41

4.3 SBE Backend languages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2011 00:00

I was hoping that 4.3 would finaly enable users of SBE editions to be able to use different languages - but that is still not the case and very very very very confusing.

http://www.marktold.com/screencast/sbe_backend_languages.swf

Flashback
At some point Telerik decided that the SBE would have only one front end language. That's somewhat understandable.
This resulted in a Administration Settings button language which was visable but not doing anything in SBE

So there was no way you could set different backend languages. Even though I can understand a business decition to limit SBE to 1 front-end I can absolutely not understand why it would hurt to have different backend languages for users since this functionallity was allready implemented.

So some time back Telerik was listening to us and now in 4.3 you can acutally set many different backend languages in Administration - Settings - Languages.

ONLY

When you try to to import different language packs you are missing the dropdown for what language you want to import the language pack. So you end up overwriting all or some who knows.

WHY
Why can't the SBE simply work like any other version in terms of backend languages?

Profils has of course also no possibility to set a default language for the user. Well that makes sense since you can have 10 backend languages configured but they are all in the same one and only language.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for reporting the problem with labels being deleted after new language pack is installed. I have logged this as a bug and here is the link for pits.

Yes you re right there is no functionality to set a preferred backend language for each backend user.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2011 00:00

Dear Stanislav

For what it's worth thanks for putting it into PITS.

Markus

This thread is closed