Null reference error from using URL routing

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:33

Null reference error from using URL routing

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Dec-2011 00:00

I implemented the URL routing example mentioned in http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/developing-with-sitefinity/url-routing.aspx. I just upgraded from Sitefinity 4.2 to 4.4, and now I'm getting the following error for any URL using the custom route:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.SetPageCacheDependencies() +476
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.handler_Unload(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnUnload(EventArgs e) +8885382
   System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) +241
   System.Web.UI.Page.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) +23
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestCleanup() +43
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +253
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +78
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
   ASP.sfpageservice_a8f63540_de1e_4cb4_a407_639ae23f329d_6_basic_en_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\0d1a8e78\d1015611\App_Web_a8f63540-de1e-4cb4-a407-639ae23f329d_6_basic_en.aspx.d63928b6.hgexzo4u.0.cs:0
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +100
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

I am able to navigate to the real page (not using the routing) without problem, but I get this error for any URL which uses the custom route. 

I'm guessing something isn't being set, but I cannot find anything further. As I mentioned, we went directly from Sitefinity 4.2 to 4.4, so I'm not sure if this was caused by 4.3 or 4.4. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2011 00:00

Exactly the same problem. Does anybody know a fix for this?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Sars

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Kevin and David,

Does this exception occur after executing some line of code from your custom route handler or does it happen before you enter the GetRouteData() method?

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Lubomir,

We have found out that when you use the "App.WorkWith().Pages().Get()" method in a thread, you will encounter a null reference exeption.
Is it possible that the method uses an instance of Page? 

The null reference exeption reported above occurs after Sitefnity executes "Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.SetPageCacheDependencies()".
Maybe the information beneath can help you further:

(((System.Web.HttpApplication)(sender)).Context.Error).StackTrace

at Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.SetPageCacheDependencies()
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.handler_Unload(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnUnload(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestCleanup()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at ASP.sfpageservice_2128fa5d_03b3_416b_8bea_21d8666bdd98_2_vinites_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\94d62d5f\300c1492\App_Web_2128fa5d-03b3-416b-8bea-21d8666bdd98_2_project.aspx.d63928b6.hdu7p3wo.0.cs:line 0
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Sars

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Kevin,

Could you please clarify a bit - what do you mean by "a thread" ? Do you create a new thread using the System.Threading namespace? I also couldn't understand the following question - "Is it possible that the method uses an instance of Page" ? Could you try changing the logic to not use the Fluent API - App.WorkWith().etc but use the PageManager instead -

var manager = PageManager.GetManager();
var pages = manager.GetPageNodes().
etc.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jan-2012 00:00

The exception occurs after the GetRouteData() method. I checked one page that uses several user controls, and those controls appear to execute fully and correctly. The exception does not appear to be thrown from any custom code. It appears to be from within the Sitefinity engine.

For instance, when I'm debugging the site, the exception is not shown from any specific line of code. In fact the "Source Error" section of the error page states "No relevant source lines". 

Thanks again,
David

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi David,

I tried your code and registered it in Global.asax.cs with

RouteTable.Routes.Insert(1, new CustomSitefinityRoute());

Now I always enter in the GetRouteData method, even if I do not access a URL like ~/features - but this is normal. I don't get such exception. I'm using a new 4.4 project. Could you try if your code works on a non upgraded 4.4 project? Also, how do you register the custom handler in the RouteTable?

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Lubomir,

I am able to re-create this error in a new 4.4 project. Here's what I did:

1. Create a new 4.4 project
2. Created a new page with the name "home", which was the home page. (Guessing this isn't necessary)
3. Created a second page with the name "prices", with the url /prices.
4. Added CustomSitefinityRoute class:
public class CustomSitefinityRoute : SitefinityRoute
    public override System.Web.Routing.RouteData GetRouteData(HttpContextBase httpContext)

//get the path from the httpContext variable and parse it
        var virtuallPath = this.GetVirtualPathInternal(httpContext);
        if (virtuallPath.Contains("features"))

//parse the acutal path to find the PageSiteNode from the sitemap provider
            var sitemapProvider = this.GetSiteMapProvider();
            if (sitemapProvider == null)
                return null;
            bool isAdditional;
            string[] pars;
            var node = sitemapProvider.FindSiteMapNode("/prices", false, out isAdditional, out pars);
            if (node != null)
                return this.GetRouteDataInternal(pars, httpContext.Request.QueryString, node);

return base.GetRouteData(httpContext);

public static void RegisterType()

ObjectFactory.Container.RegisterType<SitefinityRoute, CustomSitefinityRoute>();

(this redirects /features to /prices)

5.Updated Global.asax:
protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
    Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.ApplicationStart += new EventHandler<EventArgs>(SystemManager_ApplicationStart);

void SystemManager_ApplicationStart(object sender, EventArgs e)
    CustomSitefinityRoute.RegisterType();

6. Opened site and navigated to localhost:60876/features

I then get the same error. If I navigate to the real URL (http://localhost:60876/prices), it works fine. 

Are you now able to re-create this problem?

Thanks again,
David

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi David,

I'm getting a little confused. I followed your instructions exactly but didn't get any exception. Also if I may suggest something - in Global.asax use the following code:

Bootstrapper.Initialized += new EventHandler<Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ExecutedEventArgs>(Bootstrapper_Initialized);

and then

void Bootstrapper_Initialized(object sender, Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ExecutedEventArgs e)
    CustomSitefinityRoute.RegisterType();
    if (e.CommandName == "RegisterRoutes")

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

I implemented those changes in the Global.asax, and I'm still getting the error.

What are my options? I can zip up my project and database. Or is there some way to figure out what's happening in the Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.PageRouteHandler.SetPageCacheDependencies  method?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi David,

I think it would be best if you zipped your project and database and sent it to us. That way we will be able to reproduce the problem locally and by debugging with the source code we'll be able to see why is this exception happening. If you wish you could open a separate support ticket and send the files or download details there.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

I have submitted a support ticker (500482) with the project and database attached. 

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello David,

Okay, I suggest from now on to continue our communication on the matter in the support ticket.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2012 00:00

Was this ever resolved? I think it would be nice to post the solution for others :)

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Daniel,

I believe we resolved one specific issue. This is the code that you need to add in your custom route handler -

protected override SiteMapBase GetSiteMapProvider()
    var siteMapProvider = base.GetSiteMapProvider();
    SystemManager.CurrentHttpContext.Items[SiteMapBase.ProviderKey] = siteMapProvider;

return siteMapProvider;

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed