The 'Title for search engines' contains invalid symb

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:42

The 'Title for search engines' contains invalid symbols - Frontend pages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

I have searched the forums and PITS have not found this issue for FRONTEND pages. After upgrading to 4.4, I cannot save my pages when editing under Title and Properties.  I receive the error below. 
The 'Title for search engines' contains invalid symbols. 
My titles have the " : " symbol in them which was valid previously and is what most website use. I even tried to replace it with " | " which is what Telerik uses in their titles.  

I see this in the PITS http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/details/Issue=5977 
however this is for Backend Pages.
Thank you.

I am not sure what version you upgraded from, but this was a change made in how they validate the SEO title that was introduced a few versions ago.

Refer to this post for more information:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/comma-in-seo-title.aspx

Hi Stacey,

We are aware of these issues. The problem is that there is a certain regular expression that verifies the entered title for the frontend pages, but this regular expression cannot be changed in the configuration. There is a PITS issue for that -

http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/details/Issue=7345 

Generally you should be able to include any characters that you wish to be "valid" simply by extending the default regular expression for titles which is

^[\pL\s\-\!\$\(\)\=\@\d_\']+$

by adding additional escape sequences like \: \| etc., but because of this bug/PITS they are not taken into effect. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Lubomir, is there any fix for this? We just recently upgraded our corporate website to 4.4.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello Jan,

Unfortunately there is no way to override the field so that it can be taken into consideration. I have raised the priority of the bug, so our teams can look into it as soon as possible.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2012 00:00

Wow it would have been really great to know about this before upgrading to 4.4. Our customer will not be impressed and it's going to cost us a lot of extra work so we're loosing money as well. On top of that the customer has just paid an internet marketing company to do all this work!

Nice!

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2012 00:00

Wow it would have been really great to know about this before upgrading to 4.4. Our customer will not be impressed and it's going to cost us a lot of extra work so we're loosing money as well. On top of that the customer has just paid an internet marketing company to do all this work!

Nice!

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Mar-2012 00:00

Can you further explain how to implement this workaround?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jul-2012 00:00

I went into PITS and it does not look like there is a fix scheduled.  This is a major issue from an SEO perspective.  Will you provide information on a work around or let us know when this will be fixed? 
Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2012 00:00

Hello all,

Actually you need to take several things into account when configuring the allowed symbols for the HtmlTitle.

1. Each Frontend page has several Views - FrontendPagesCreate, FrontendPagesEdit, and FrontendPagesList

Each of the FrontendPagesCreate and FrontendPagesEdit views will have its own definitions for the HtmlTitle field.

In order to allow any special character you need to do two things - configure the mirror field RegEx, so the special characters do not get replaced by the "-", and then go to the field validation settings and modify the RegEx there as well, so the field value passes validation.

When you do this for both views you should have no problems adding the desired symbols in the HtmlTitle field. For your convenience I've recorded a short video demonstrating how you can do that.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

So frustrating when you have to spend time fixing what should be standard in this CMS. 

Half baked and we end up spending time developing/fixing this. 

Not impressed!

Pierre

This thread is closed