Document Library fluent API 4.4 issue

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:08

Document Library fluent API 4.4 issue

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have this method working fine in version 4.1 SP3,
but will throw the exception below when in version 4.4

public static string GetDocumentUrl(string library, string docName)

string r = string.Empty;

var lib = App.WorkWith().DocumentLibraries().Where(l => l.Title == library).Get().FirstOrDefault();
            if (lib != null)

var doc = lib.Documents.Where(d => d.Title == docName).FirstOrDefault();
                if (doc != null)

r = doc.MediaUrl;

return r;

exception is :

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.MediaContentExtensions.ResolveMediaUrl(MediaContent mediaContent, Boolean resolveAsAbsoluteUrl)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.AppSettings.GetMediaItemUrl(MediaContent media)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Libraries.Model.MediaContent.get_MediaUrl()

Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: the method returns an empty string fine when the document does not exist in the Library, but the exception if the document exists.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Ernesto,

I have taken your code and modified it a bit, since it was returning an object reference error. Please check the following code sample as well as the changes I have made to your code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

GetDocumentUrl("text", "Default Library");

public static string GetDocumentUrl(string docName, string libName)

string r = string.Empty;

LibrariesManager docManager = LibrariesManager.GetManager();
           DocumentLibrary library = docManager.GetDocumentLibraries().Where(l => l.Title == libName).FirstOrDefault();
           if (library != null)

var doc = docManager.GetDocuments().Where(d => d.Title == docName).FirstOrDefault();
               if (doc != null)

//Will return the resolved absolute URL
                   var docUrl = doc.Url;
                   //Will return the default relative URL (i.e. /documentsroot/library/document
                   var docUrl1 = doc.Urls.Where(u => u.RedirectToDefault == false).SingleOrDefault().Url;
                   //Will return the properly resolved document mediaUrl. You can use doc.ResolveMediaUrl() and pass a boolean parameter to it
                   //that will tell it to rerutn absolute or relative Url. By default it returns resolved absolute URL

var docUrl2 = doc.MediaUrl;
                   r = docUrl2;

return r;

I have added couple of new variables, when getting the document. For example docUrl1 returns the relative url to the item where docUrl = docUrl2.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

Thanks Victor, using the LibrariesManager did the trick.

This thread is closed