PageTemplates does not load

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:29

PageTemplates does not load

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Feb-2012 00:00

Just happened this morning.. when I go to Design -> Page Templates the page loads but the grid is blank.  We have a large amount of templates and I'm told by another admin that it normally takes a while to load but it's not working at all this morning.  Everything else seems to be working.. I haven't changed any of the masterpages or anything.  I'm not receiving any kind of error that I can see either.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello Tony,

What happens when you inspect the page with Firebug? Inside the Net tab, is the service executed properly and does it return any values? Also, check the permissions of the widget on the Templates backend page - it can be restricted and you may have no permissions to view it (if you are not administrator).

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

@Tony

Are you using FF 10.0? I have seen similar stuff after updating to FF 10.0
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Mar-2012 00:00

Okay, sorry for not responding earlier but we just weren't being patient enough and were working on moving to production and didn't have a lot of time to work on it.  It does eventually return values it just takes a really really long time.  We've been seeing other performance issues on the site so maybe if we find a solution to this we can solve the others.  None of the other performance issues are anywhere near as severe so it may be entirely unrelated.

I'm accessing it mostly in Google Chrome but it's the same in FF, haven't tried it in IE.  In the network tab of Chrome's Developer toolbar it ends up taking somewhere between 1.6 minutes to 2.7 minutes to get about 133k of data from:
PageTemplatesService.svc/?managerType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager&providerName=&itemType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageTemplate&provider=&skip=0&take=50&filter=

It returns 60 items.  Then it looks like it turns around and hits that web service again which takes something like 5 minutes to respond.  Although after the first response the page templates load...  On the timing tab it looks like most of the time length of the call is spent waiting: 1.6 minutes.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Mar-2012 00:00

This is from the same website that Tony is posting about. This morning we got a new error message when attempting to open Design -> Page Templates.

The communication object, System.ServiceModel.InstanceContext, cannot be used for communication because it has been aborted.

See attached screen shot.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

Does this appear only on production environment? I suppose it is a limitation to the timeout of the service call. 
About the performance problems - there was an issue with the load time of Page Templates if you accidentally based a template on itself (and then the Page Counter enters a loop), so check if you have such templates. Also, how many pages do you have in total? 

Kind regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Apr-2012 00:00

I got this error today as well. Don't know if this is the same as above, but I see there are 2 service calls listed as pending, that don't seem to be returning. I tried a few different browser/os combinations with no luck.

/Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PageTemplatesService.svc/?managerType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager&providerName=&itemType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageTemplate&provider=&skip=0&take=50&filter=
/

GET /Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PageTemplatesService.svc/?managerType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager&providerName=&itemType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageTemplate&provider=&skip=0&take=50&filter= HTTP/1.1
X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
Pragma: no-cache
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19
Cache-Control: no-cache
Referer: www.idtdna.com/.../PageTemplates
SF_UI_CULTURE: en

Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PageTemplatesService.svc/?managerType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager&providerName=&itemType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageTemplate&provider=&skip=0&take=50&filter=

GET /Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PageTemplatesService.svc/?managerType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager&providerName=&itemType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageTemplate&provider=&skip=0&take=50&filter= HTTP/1.1
X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
Pragma: no-cache
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19
Cache-Control: no-cache
Referer: www.idtdna.com/.../PageTemplates
SF_UI_CULTURE: en

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Apr-2015 00:00

Were you able to find a fix for your problem?

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Apr-2015 00:00

Hi Ben,

Although this is an old thread (Sitefinity 4.4), note that we have seen this issue before and was caused by a bug. The problem was related to the query that calculates how many pages are used by the page templates. The exception appeared when large amount of pages were using a page template. However the bug has been fixed since Sitefinity 6.1 SP2 (here are the release notes, please refer to Performance improvement in page templates screen loading time).

If your project has a version lower than 6.1 I would like to kindly suggest you to upgrade it.

Best 
Regards,

Junior Dominguez
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed