PDF links broke after upgrade to ver. 4.4.2117.0

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:03

PDF links broke after upgrade to ver. 4.4.2117.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2012 00:00

Since upgrading to version 4.4.2, PDF links no longer work. A "Failed to Load" message is displayed on the front end or s "loading" spin wheel is shown. It wouldn't be a viable solution but to trouble shoot, we've attempted to replace the file in the document manager and we've also attempted to upload and link altogether new PDFs.  Is this a recurring issue with the latest upgrade? As resolution been identified... ideally one that doesn't require revisiting all PDF links across the entire site. If so, please share. Thanks in advance.

Hello Ingrid,

Can you please let us know how you have referenced the files on your pages, a sample of few pages where we can observe the behavior will be very helpful? I have tried going to the backend of a local version of the project and downloading the files from there work without a problem.

On the local copy of the website I have found a few links to PDF files but it looks like that they point to a location that is not the Sitefinity libraries, but to files that are on your legacy website.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks for your reply. It occurs across the site. Please see dev.spelman.edu/.../ for an example

There are two PDFs linked. The one on the right will show you what is occurring across the site. For the one on the left, we updated the link and the linked file.

Thanks,
Ingrid

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

We have taken a look at both files and they download properly? Is there any possibility that you have edited both links?

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Ingrid
This is a wild shot at it but it happend to me once. I used file provider upgraded and had some files move back and forth and did forget to download the files from the old place to the new server.
So the files might be on www.spelman.edu but not on dev.spelman.edu
Markus

Thanks for your replies.

@Markus: we are using the "Documents & Files" file manager to upload documents and we're using the default rich text editor to create hyperlinks that point to the files we've uploaded.

@Radoslav: after 3 days, miraculously, our PDF links are suddenly started to open successfully. For one of them, we had to open in Acrobat and save to an older Acrobat format and update the file in the Sitefinity document manager. Seems fine now though, admittedly, the thought of every file link breaking intermittently for days and other experiences like this don't help our confidence in deploying this Sitefinity powered site.

Sincere thanks for your help and for taking the time to give this your attention. Much appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2012 00:00

This is still not resolved. We thought it was but as we continue to work, we are discovering that this issue remains and think we've determined what's happening. Please see dev.spelman.edu/.../pre-entrance-health-booklet

With the last update, PDF that are saved as "compatible with Acrobat 6 or later" no longer work. When re-saved and re-uploaded as 4, 5, 7, 8, or 9 compatible, the PDF will download successfully

Dear Ingrid
I can open all 4 links perfect. What Acrobat or Acrobat Reader  Version have you installed. Or are you viewing with some other PDF generator software like PDF complete (which is know to have troubles when working in education in conjunction with Sitfinity - JUST KIDDING)?

I think it might not be an Sitefinity but an Acrobat Reader or compatitor compatibility problem.
Markus

I hear you Markus. My guess is that you are using Internet Explorer 8 or 9. I don't think it's as simple as the version of the Acrobat Reader plug-in installed or the version of Acrobat Pro installed. We're running recent versions of our browsers, plugins, etc. Looking deeper, it seems to be related in part to what browser is being used. On Windows
   • all the files download when using IE7+
   • In Firefox, PDF downloads are broken for many PDFs across the entire site since the last Sitefinity upgrade if the files are saved "compatible with Acrobat 6 or later" - see v6 

On Mac OS
   • Firefox 10.0.1, Safari 5.1.2, Chrome 17.0, PDF downloads are broken for many PDFs across the entire site since the last Sitefinity upgrade if the files are saved "compatible with Acrobat 6 or later" - see v6

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2012 00:00

Spelman College: Do you think this issue is the same as the one I just posted?

We have no trouble with IE opening PDFs, but Google Chrome gets a blank white screen and Firefox gets a "Content encoding error" upon downloading *some* PDF files.

I have found the following threads to be similar:
- PDF file not opening on mobile (Android PDF viewing issues)
- Sitefinity 3x: PDFs not returning the correct MIME type (causing some PDF files to not load)

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2012 00:00

(sorry - annoying double post here)

This thread is closed